Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

National Geographic - Doomsday Preppers

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...sday-preppers/

So I watched this tonight. Lots of interesting prep ideas. Some over the top, some not.

My question is this....If we were faced with a catastrophic situation and all hell was breaking loose, would you feel it necessary to arm yourself?

I only ask because pretty much everybody that had a plan also had SERIOUS firepower.

Then, on the second to last family......the family from Vermont, they felt that having a strong community was all they needed to stave off an attack from "outsiders" who wanted to take what they wanted.

Personally, I think they'd be the first "type" to get double crossed and KILLED. Hell, given the situation....If my band of heavily armed nomads came upon a well stocked community that wan't armed.....GAME ON.

What do you guys think.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: National Geographic - Doomsday Preppers

I didnt catch that show but watched the previews.......I'm of the belief that you should be armed with some protection but that also goes for right now. I need to watch that show because it looked interesting..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

If my band of heavily armed nomads came upon a well stocked community that wan't armed.....GAME ON.

What do you guys think.

Later,

Geo

Barbarian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pontooner View Post
    Barbarian
    Nah, just Geo's way of redistributing the wealth

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Nah, just Geo's way of redistributing the wealth

Andrew
    Well, if **** ever does hit the fan....you BETTER have some skills and firepower.

3 or 4 weeks of no electricity or no food or no gas......MIGHT lead to serious civil unrest......I'd like to think I'm reasonable prepared myself, but you never know.

Later,

Geo

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to start over eating, to prepare by self to do my part as a food source.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if **** ever does hit the fan....you BETTER have some skills and firepower.

3 or 4 weeks of no electricity or no food or no gas......MIGHT lead to serious civil unrest......I'd like to think I'm reasonable prepared myself, but you never know.

Later,

Geo
    Thats what happened in New Orleans. Several weeks of hardships led to looting and other crimes. Alot of folks who depended on gubment to take of them were left to fend for themselves and the wolves of the community came-a-calling.

Post Thanks / Like

So I watched this tonight. Lots of interesting prep ideas. Some over the top, some not.

My question is this....If we were faced with a catastrophic situation and all hell was breaking loose, would you feel it necessary to arm yourself?

I only ask because pretty much everybody that had a plan also had SERIOUS firepower.

Then, on the second to last family......the family from Vermont, they felt that having a strong community was all they needed to stave off an attack from "outsiders" who wanted to take what they wanted.

Personally, I think they'd be the first "type" to get double crossed and KILLED. Hell, given the situation....If my band of heavily armed nomads came upon a well stocked community that wan't armed.....GAME ON.

What do you guys think.

Later,

Geo
    Well if you really are willing to kill off whole families for a six pack of real Coke I guess you will have your "game on" I guess this explains the hate for big Government that is going around. They may put a damper in those plans.

You are going to find that there are going to be plenty of "disiplined, trained and rational" military survivors (marines, army, navy, airforce, reserves and guard). They are going to have the resourses to survive if anyone does. They will have the reenforced vehichles, access to preserved foods and on and on. They will also have more weapons than you. I don't think they will look fondly on heavily armed nomads (looters, murderers and worse) wandering into communities looting, murdering and worse. You may get a few six packs of Coke but I think you will meet you match before too long.

Your survival plan may just result in your untimely demise.

Glad I am not your neighbor, heaven forbid a tornado hits your neighborhood. I guess you will be rumaging through his garage for crankbaits.

The sad part is that you will probably kill off the very people that may be able to help you. Those with skills to make tools, understand how to mine, build, decontaminate, farm, rebuild instead of loot, murder and worse.
    Last edited by kydonky; 02-09-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post
    Well if you really are willing to kill off whole families for a six pack of real Coke I guess you will have your "game on" I guess this explains the hate for big Government that is going around. They may put a damper in those plans.

You are going to find that there are going to be plenty of "disiplined, trained and rational" military survivors (marines, army, navy, airforce, reserves and guard). They are going to have the resourses to survive if anyone does. They will have the reenforced vehichles, access to preserved foods and on and on. They will also have more weapons than you. I don't think they will look fondly on heavily armed nomads (looters, murderers and worse) wandering into communities looting, murdering and worse. You may get a few six packs of Coke but I think you will meet you match before too long.

Your survival plan may just result in your untimely demise.

Glad I am not your neighbor, heaven forbid a tornado hits your neighborhood. I guess you will be rumaging through his garage for crankbaits.

The sad part is that you will probably kill off the very people that may be able to help you. Those with skills to make tools, understand how to mine, build, decontaminate, farm, rebuild instead of loot, murder and worse.
    YOU obviously missed the point of my post.

NO, I'm not going to arbitrarily run in and kill a bunch of people for a bottle of coke. COME ON..........

The Question was POSED.......it is simple. I'm assuming with the type of serious disaster that I'm talking about, there'd be no central gubment, no one in "charge", bands of marauding folks doing what is necessary to survive.

I'm NOT talking about Katrina.......more like a Jericho or Mad Max type situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho_(TV_series)

On the Doomsday preppers show, they actually weighed the chances of their "scenerio" actually happening. While I believe the chances of a Jericho or Mad Max type doomsday is extremely unlikely.....If something like that happened.....ALL kinds of crap would hit the fan.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

NO, I'm not going to arbitrarily run in and kill a bunch of people for a bottle of coke. COME ON..........

The Question was POSED.......it is simple. I'm assuming with the type of serious disaster that I'm talking about, there'd be no central gubment, no one in "charge", bands of marauding folks doing what is necessary to survive.

Later,

Geo[/QUOTE]

Thank goodness, you had me worried there Geo. (ha ha).

Well I guess I'm too old to survive. But I would think that if something like that were to happen the military is the place you would want to be. They would have access to the things you would need to survive for an extended period. I would reenlist If they need an old fart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post

Later,

Geo
    Thank goodness, you had me worried there Geo. (ha ha).

Well I guess I'm too old to survive. But I would think that if something like that were to happen the military is the place you would want to be. They would have access to the things you would need to survive for an extended period. I would reenlist If they need an old fart.[/QUOTE]

Well.......With a total breakdown, and it becoming dog eat dog, do you really think the military will help?. Our military forces make of a very, very small percentage of our population.....If 1/2 the population thinks the gubment is doomed, and anarchy ensues, do yo REALLY think a few 100k troops could do much.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I really believe there are 1000s and 1000s of dedicated service people that would stand up to the challange.

But my point is that if I wanted to survive I would think that someone in the military is going to have a better chance than someone on their own. They are going to have access to all of the things they will need to survivie. They will also have a chain of comand in place even down to the platoon level. Not saying they will save the world but they will be the survivors if there are any.