Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Am i the only on who dislikes Fluorocarbon ?

Everyone seems to be going to this line and having success with it so i have tried a few different brands and i must say i am not impressed.Granted i do like the low visibility,Sinking,and sensitivity .But I have had more break offs,Knot's while casting than i can count.I am a firm believer in using line conditioner on my lines especially the Fluorocarbon.

I tie primarily the Palomar knot,Improved cinch and and make sure the line is wet when cinching down .So what is the problem here.so far the brands i have tried are

Streen 100% fluorocarbon
    Vicious 100%
    Spiderwire ultracast

So far the only lines i have the best confidence in is Pline Cx premium and Suffix pro mix,Both are crazy strong and cast a mile while laying smooth .

And i just do not have any confidence in it so far.Primarily i use Fluorocarbon on spinning reels for finesse fishing in ultra clear water

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Am i the only on who dislikes Fluorocarbon ?

Try a good fluoro and then see what you think....I'd suggest Seaguar Invisx...I've heard good things about the Stren but not the other 2...I've found that with fluoro, you really get what you pay for

Post Thanks / Like

Mono is the only thing i use,but then i'm cheap

Post Thanks / Like

I love fluorocarbon, I use it for pretty much everything but top water. I like sunline sniper and seagur invizx. When I first started using it I had a lot of problems with it breaking at my knot. I always tied a palomar knot. I started tying a worlds fair knot and now it is the only knot I tie with fluorocarbon, I don't know if I have ever had that knot break on me. I tried the stren and hated it and have never been a big spider wire fan (any of their line) and I haven't tried the vicious. Don't give up on fluorocarbon it is great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck with stren fluorocarbon and have heard some people like the trilene 100% fluorocarbon. I tried the bps fluorocarbon and hated it.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you soak your knot before pulling it tight. Fluoro creates more friction than mono, thus more heat, and will actually burn itself a little making the line very weak.

Post Thanks / Like

i have had very good performance from P-LINE flourocarbon and P-LINE flouroclear (i really like the flouroclear) . never had a knot fail and i can only remember 2 break-offs, both could actually be attributed to "gill plate cut-offs" from big stripes on jerkbaits. not counting all the stripers that stole crappie minnows , sinker, floater and hooks on 4lb test lol.
    the flouroclear is value priced, stays fairly supple and memory free.
    i use a palomar knot and as metioned above i wet the knot heavily to prevent the knot burn to the line.

ive never used the seaguar invisx on a reel but i will tell you it is the best leader material ive ever used for livebait fishing for stripers. it seems to be fairly abrasion resistant and i dont see how anything could ever see this stuff underwater, it truly disappears right below the surface so i can imagine it is undetectable at greater depths/lower light. it seems to be fairly soft and in my mind makes a difference in lower resistance to the hook allowing a live shad to move more actively, i would think it would have the same effect on a lure?

a well lubricated, well tied knot is probably going to help more than anything though.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of using it as leader material I don't like it either. Always use a bloodknot to tie fluoro to mono. Fluoro is stiff, it breaks at the knot easily and it does not cast as well as mono or braid. Fluoro as leader material and braid or mono as mainline material. That's all you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Outside of using it as leader material I don't like it either. Always use a bloodknot to tie fluoro to mono. Fluoro is stiff, it breaks at the knot easily and it does not cast as well as mono or braid. Fluoro as leader material and braid or mono as mainline material. That's all you need.
    folks am i missing something here? the knot breaks at the hook when used as mainline....but the knot DOESNT break at the hook when using it as a leader? seriously im not being a "$M@RT@$$ here, i just dont get it. and yes i understand the relationship between mono stretch / shock leader etc. BUT its still a knot tied to a hook (or the eye of a lure) PLUS an additional knot splicing the mono to the flouro.
    fill me in, im always looking for info that can help me improve, I NEED IT BAD !

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Am i the only on who dislikes Fluorocarbon ?

Most People who have a Fluoro problem. Well you here all about Try this line and That but you never hear anyone say if you are breaking on the hook set YOUR DRAG IS TO TIGHT.

With Fluoro line if you grab your line and pull it if you do not have a smooth pull with this line in will break.

I have a buddy that was having this and we went to Barren and I like to have cut my hand when I did a pull test on his. Backed the drag and he has not broke off again.

Post Thanks / Like

i keep my drag tight until i need to loosen it, and havent broke anything off. i think alot of problems are user error. once you get it right,youll hate mono

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Newton. Your drag is too tight. If you are applying a good firm hook set on a good fish your drag should slip. I have used several brands out their. Viscious, Seagur, Yozuri and my biggest probelm about the line is I cant break it when I get hung up. I tie the palomar knot 95% of the time. Too be honest I dont use line conditioner either. I will spray a little real magic on from time to time. I also re tie often.