Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle Nests

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle Nests

Does the state keep track of eagles nests and if a nest is located should it be reported to the KDFWR? Or would there be so many nests in the state that they dont bother with keeping track of them?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eagle Nests

Depends on where the nest is located. If it's in a highly used public area, it is sometimes reported, so that the public area can be blocked off to help protect the eagles during nesting season.

Turkey Bay on Ky Lake usually has an eagle nesting on the point at the mouth of the bay - KDFWR blocks the point off from public access/atvs during nesting season.

Same goes for another nesting site just north of the mouth of Taylor Bay on Barkley - one usually nests there, and the perimeter around it gets blocked off during nesting season as well.

Many of the bays on Ky and Barkley that are blocked off as wildlife refuges usually contain eagle nesting sites as well.

Are you wanting to go see some eagles? I've seen a bunch this winter on Barkley Lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Been a rather warm winter with no shad dye off to speak of One that I see on a regular basis near standing rock bay was actually out near my home yesterday eating carrion,(road kill).
    Dnr generally takes precautions near any nest,with some places strictly off limits to evrything,including boats.Yet I see them and osprey often as they fly nearby,every power tower out here an osprey nest in it.Ospreys like wake baits,so dont tary.

Post Thanks / Like

Ironworker, you might report it to KDFWR, it might be one they aren't aware of. You can call them at 1-800-858-1549, which is the general information line. They will connect you to the person you need to talk to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
    Been a rather warm winter with no shad dye off to speak of One that I see on a regular basis near standing rock bay was actually out near my home yesterday eating carrion,(road kill).
    Dnr generally takes precautions near any nest,with some places strictly off limits to evrything, including boats. Yet I see them and osprey often as they fly nearby, every power tower out here an osprey nest in it. Ospreys like wake baits, so dont tary.
    Dnr generally takes precautions near any nest, with some places strictly off limits to evrything, including boats.

Thats what i was concerned about...too many places being lost as it is.
    Last edited by IronWorker; 03-05-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I lived in the tri state area ky/oh/wva Yatesville lake Ky had a nesting site an island they always built a fence around it and posted.
    Here on Ky lake I see them all the time but not taken for granted.
    Taken mouth of standing rock creek,ky lake from my boat.
    http://www.freewebs.com/kylaketn/app...otoid=61953716
    It is only through protection that they not only exist but have increased numbers,and if some place is off limits so be it.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer is, yes, they keep records of all nests reported. If you see one and the eagle(s) in it or just see an eagle in an area get the GPS location if possible or the best location you can and tell them. The woman I have spoken with there is Kathryn Heyden. I think that is how she spells her last name. If I am wrong I will come back and fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure the KDFWR keeps up with the nests. Not sure if they block the area off totally because there are Eagle nests on Laurel Lake and the area is open. KDFWR might not know the nests are there, but I highly doubt it.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I wish KDFWR did this: This is live TV!

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IronWorker View Post
    Dnr generally takes precautions near any nest, with some places strictly off limits to evrything, including boats.

Thats what i was concerned about...too many places being lost as it is.

What places have been lost due to actions by KDFWR? How many places have been gained BECAUSE of KDFWR?

Post Thanks / Like

My point is with so many places being leased out and lost to the commercial hunting operations i would hate to be at fault for a creek or river or a lake area to have signs posted "Off Limits As Ordered By The KDFWR".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IronWorker View Post
    My point is with so many places being leased out and lost to the commercial hunting operations i would hate to be at fault for a creek or river or a lake area to have signs posted "Off Limits As Ordered By The KDFWR".
    Except that hasn't happened.

Instead, what you are able to do (if you are so inlcined and are interested in FACTS) is to find areas that you used to not be able to hunt, now open to public hunting. You continually post this crap and are so anti-KDFWR that you have lost any objectivity. If you want to ignore facts and hide behind your tin foil hat that is fine, but I, along with others, sincerely wish you would do it in a state where the fish and wildlife service is not constantly working to give you more land to hunt and fish on!

It is a tired. old, broken record you are playing ironworker. Even when my mom listens to Elvis, she at least does it on CD!