Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bass Boat Insurance

Shopping to see what is available. Been with State Farm for 25 years and no claims. Just comparison shopping . Anyone have agreed value policies? Any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bass Boat Insurance

I went with Boatus.com when my new boat came in. Good rate and had what I wanted in the coverage.

One thing some should look for is whether it's a boat policy or a yacht policy. A boat policy is sorta close to a cars and usually doesn't cover things like salvage and enviornmental clean up. This really comes in to play if you are docked on a deep lake like Cumberland. If the boat goes down, the Corp will require you to salvage it and clean it up and it's on your nickle even if it isn't your fault.

It probably isn't as big a deal on lakes that aren't as deep or for people who mostly tow.

In general, it's a good idea for everyone to go through the details of your policy and confirm the values are what you want.

Post Thanks / Like

Like you I have been with State Farm a long time. I stayed with them on the new bass boat I purchased last year. Basically I went with liability and thef. They had to come out and take pictures before they would issue a policy, which was different than any auto/boat I ever had. But going from a five year old tracker to a new nitro the annual went up almost 4 times the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is content coverage. I have a rider on my policy to cover tackle, rods,depth finders,etc.

Don't assume items are covered under your boat policy just because it's in or on your boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Merkel best bass boat insurance around.

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful, there is a deductable on some policies. Lost a rod and reel approx. 300.00, guess what the deductable was 300.00 on equipment and contents.

Post Thanks / Like

I just switched to Boatus.com. Nice people, answered all questions and great rates for liability insurance.

Post Thanks / Like

I always had good luck with KY Farm Bureau...maybe because my agent was also a bass fisherman...

Post Thanks / Like

We've had our boat and motorcycle insurance with Progressive for quite awhile. No claims yet and the deductible goes down every year. A little research revealed that as far as their bass boat policies goes, Progressive has more claims paid per policy written than any other company.

Post Thanks / Like

Boat US for me for the last several years. Been satisfied and they were cheapest.
    I wouldn't take free advice from KY Farm Bureau!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just switched my 2010 Skeeter to World Wide Marine Underwriters/Progressive. It's an agreed value policy, alot more coverage and a vanishing deductable that transfers to my new boat (if I buy another one). They saved me over 150 a year. Worth looking at.

Post Thanks / Like

Call this guy. He used to advertise on Fishin.com. He specializes in boats and bass boats in particular and he fishes a lot. He knows all the values and so forth that are sitting on and in your boat and all the stuff that could happen because he has seen it all.

Tell him Peter from Fishin.com sent you there.

Good luck

Bob Luellen
    WorldWide Marine Underwriters Inc
    517-627-8080
    Last edited by peter; 02-16-2012 at 08:04 PM.