Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

nolin lake walleye

Anyone had luck with walleye at nolin. Do you all have better luck trolling or jigging for them. I know nolin has some just have to find them. I think they prefer the deeper parts towards the dam. What do you all think

Post Thanks / Like

Re: nolin lake walleye

I'm a walleye fisherman! Been eye fishing Nolin since I was old enough to fish with my dad and let me tell you it has takin us 15years to somewhat understand them! All I can say is you got to try everything!!! Jigs, live baits, crankbaits, swim baits, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Also I fished many lakes, rivers that have eyes (walleye's) and Nolin is the hardest!!

Post Thanks / Like

Typically they start heading up river round middle of February. I usually find them before the white bass start heading up stream. Have found them from wax as far up as Spurrier dam in the headwaters. Haven't been out looking for them yet this year. I have my best luck on curly tail jigs with a chunk of night crawler or shad raps.
    Last edited by coombro; 02-20-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: oop's posted twice

Post Thanks / Like

Nolin use to be prem-o for Walleye's guess supply and demand caught up with it. Mid February is when I usually start to look for them in the head waters of the lake. Upper Nolin River for Spurrier Dam some 40 miles upstream from wax I have found them. They usually head up stream before the white bass. Curly tail jigs with a chunk of night crawler is my most productive way of catching them. Also shad raps work very well yet can get quite expensive in the upper sections of the river as it gets shallow. haven't been out looking for them yet this year looks like it will be couple more weeks before I get a chance as my day job is a little demanding this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I catch them every once in awhile, but not on purpose. I have always gotten them on shad raps and shad imitating crankbaits. A guy I know that lives down there buys cheap-o crankbaits and trolls them with his pontoon. Always ends up with one or two for a fish sammich for lunch. If I catch one I usually tie on a deep shad rap and try to catch some more. I read that the Erie strain of walleye in Nolin does not do well and will not reproduce as readily. Same for smallmouth there. They don't like the muddy bottom there. Hopefully the Kentucky strain they found recently will be restocked there and make the walleye fishing good again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 09Z7SC View Post
    I catch them every once in awhile, but not on purpose. I have always gotten them on shad raps and shad imitating crankbaits. A guy I know that lives down there buys cheap-o crankbaits and trolls them with his pontoon. Always ends up with one or two for a fish sammich for lunch. If I catch one I usually tie on a deep shad rap and try to catch some more. I read that the Erie strain of walleye in Nolin does not do well and will not reproduce as readily. Same for smallmouth there. They don't like the muddy bottom there. Hopefully the Kentucky strain they found recently will be restocked there and make the walleye fishing good again.
    I know years ago maybe eon's it seems that walleye were plentiful in the spring in the Nolin river. Now they seem far and few. May be that strain of Erie walleye you mentioned years past. Who knows. I'm talkin fishin way up river where you can't swamp me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coombro View Post
    I'm talkin fishin way up river where you can't swamp me.

Post Thanks / Like

rock wall by wax marina heading up river is hot now , use 1/4 ounce leadheads with chartreuse grubs and dont forget to tip with minnow

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye fishing in Rough River below the dam used to be good. I fished for them quite often in the 70's and early 80's. I don't know if they are still there or not. Last time I fished there it seemed there was only hybrids. That was mid 90's. Anyone have any info on Rough?

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad to see the "how-to" on the walleye. What would be most helpful is "how I caught them yesterday" along with pics. Those fish seem almost like Bigfoot- here plenty of "how-to" stories, but rarely see one actually caught.

Post Thanks / Like

Coombro is right they start heading up river in mid-Feb. but early March is probably best. I think a great way to fish for them would be to put in somewhere like Wheelers Mill and float down in canoe or flat bottom and jig night crawlers. If you want to bank fish maybe go to Broad Ford and put out some night crawlers under the big riffle and cast curly tails. Then they will move back down to the main lake after the run. There seems to be a lot caught down around Wax like around the big island. Guys will fish night crawler rigs like the Erie Deerie type or however its spelled. Just follow the Amish! Those guys fished for walleye up north and they know how to catch them. I personally like fishing for them in late summer between Brigg Webb (mouth of Bacon Creek) and Broad Ford. Troll for them up until dark and then set up a floating light under a riffle and jig night crawlers through the night. They also can be caught right now under many of the barriers (dams, locks, etc) on Green and Barren. Unfortunately the only local lake that is getting stocked with the native Ky strain is Barren. They don't want the fish introduced into lakes with the Lake Erie strain I assume to study their success with out cross breeding.