Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Really dumb baitcaster question

Ok, I just got my first baitcaster reel and a nice rod to go with it. I bought the Shimano Caenan in the right-hand retrieve version... thinking because I was right-handed this is the one I needed. But now I realize that with the reel on the rod and the way baitcasters are setup that I may have a problem. I've always used spinning reels in the past and to operate them I hold the rod in my right hand and then operate the reel with my left hand (maybe this is wrong but that's just how I do it). So here is my question, am I supposed to cast with the rod in my right hand and then switch hands to retrieve or can I just get the left hand model of the Caenan?

Again, I'm completely new to baitcasters.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Really dumb baitcaster question

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'fool View Post
    Ok, I just got my first baitcaster reel and a nice rod to go with it. I bought the Shimano Caenan in the right-hand retrieve version... thinking because I was right-handed this is the one I needed. But now I realize that with the reel on the rod and the way baitcasters are setup that I may have a problem. I've always used spinning reels in the past and to operate them I hold the rod in my right hand and then operate the reel with my left hand (maybe this is wrong but that's just how I do it). So here is my question, am I supposed to cast with the rod in my right hand and then switch hands to retrieve or can I just get the left hand model of the Caenan?

all my spining outfits are set up with the handle on the left side, so all of my baitcasters are set up with the handle on the left side too.
    if you feel like you have more rod control with your right hand you probably should go ahead and switch to a left handed reel to avoid switching hands after the cast. if you pitch a jig that is intended to fall for a few seconds before you start your retrieve, then you will have plenty of time to switch hands while the jig falls. if you throw a buzzbait into a downed tree top then you would want to start your retrieve pretty quick to get the buzz up on the surface and "buzzing", but i fish with a couple of buddies who seem to do this unconsciously and very quickly.
    just remember you will be imparting the action to lures like jigs, worms, jerkbaits etc so your dominant control hand should be holding the rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    all my spining outfits are set up with the handle on the left side, so all of my baitcasters are set up with the handle on the left side too.
    if you feel like you have more rod control with your right hand you probably should go ahead and switch to a left handed reel to avoid switching hands after the cast. if you pitch a jig that is intended to fall for a few seconds before you start your retrieve, then you will have plenty of time to switch hands while the jig falls. if you throw a buzzbait into a downed tree top then you would want to start your retrieve pretty quick to get the buzz up on the surface and "buzzing", but i fish with a couple of buddies who seem to do this unconsciously and very quickly.
    just remember you will be imparting the action to lures like jigs, worms, jerkbaits etc so your dominant control hand should be holding the rod.
    Thanks for your help. I've been watching some videos on YouTube of the pros and how they cast a baitcaster. Looks like most of them use a right-hand retrieve reel and cast with the right hand, then move the rod to the left hand and sort of cup the rod and reel with their left hand rather than hold it via the trigger grip. I might give that a try and see if I can pull that off...

Post Thanks / Like

I use all my spinning w left hand retrieve and my bait casters are all right hand retrieve. To each their own but that's how I prefer it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both left and right handed baitcasters. I prefer the left hand crank as I have lost a lot of fish with the right crank hand so far as hook setting.

Post Thanks / Like

Most people cast and switch. I went with lefties long ago and will never go back. Just seems natural.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question and there never are any dumb questions, that's how we all learn. You'll get a different answer from just about everyone who responds, so here's mine.
    I use a lot spinning and baitcastings reels and I am right handed. I prefer to cast my baitcasters with my right hand and switch to the left hand when working the bait, which means I'm cranking with my right. With the spinning, i still cast with my right, but I also hold the rod in my right hand and then crank with my left. This is the way I've done it for thirty plus years. I think it helps as a I get older because I develop much less fatigue in my arms when fishing for very long periods.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree w/ 12V, no dumb questions and I'll bet everyone dealt w/ this issue when starting out w/ baitcasters. My first two were right handed retrieve, many years ago!! Tossing plastics or cranking cranks the RH is fine. But I could not seem to get the action or control I wanted when fishing top water, especially zara spooks or frogs. And like coombro my hook setting was much much better. I now use all LH. When the waters warm, tie on a spook and see which works best for you. Good luck and good fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with 12 voltman and I have done the same thing as he has for 30 + years. Two years ago I had some soreness in my elbow and bought a left hand reel thinking since this is how I fish a spinning reel it would not be a problem and probably would be better than what I had done for years with a bait caster. I can not tell you how awkward this has been I am still fishing both left hand and right hand bait caster reels. Still harder than I would think it would be. I still cast everything right handed and switch rod to left when throwing right hand bait caster. There is no right or wrong way it is what is natural and feels the best for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey ff. Learn to cast with either hand it will give your elbows a rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin'fool View Post

Post Thanks / Like

4-given has got it. I learned to cast left-handed, back in the 80's, when a friend had his rt. Arm in a cast, he could'nt cast right handed, so he thought i should'nt either. We both leaned how, and it really does make a difference if your fishing 6-8 hrs. Tighten your cast-controll down, and start with short casts, then work you way up. (or out, i guess)tr

Post Thanks / Like

The majority of people who I know that retrieve right handed cast right handed and switch to retrieve. Do whatever feels comfortable to you. As for me when I started fishing my first set up was a spinning outfit that was set up for right hand retrieve. I learned from day one to cast left handed. When using a baitcaister I would say that 90% of the time I cast left handed and always retrieve right handed. The only time I cast right handed is when I am out in a wide open area and want to make a long cast. I can get more distance right handed but my casting accuracy is better left handed...so basically what I am trying to say is do what feels best for you. A lot of people cast,switch then retrieve right handed. I learned how to cast lefty so no switching hands for me.