Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky adds bass fishing as official high school sport

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLions View Post
    "Kentucky becomes the third state nationally to offer bass fishing as a varsity sport, following Illinois and Tennessee." ~ taken from the official press release posted on ihigh.com.

Someone's wrong somewhere, it seems. I wasn't at the press conference so I'm taking what has been released as accurate. It's possible that ihigh.com added the info believing it to be accurate or maybe even KHSAA have it incorrect. Either which way, the fact that Kentucky has added the sport can only be good for schools.

DAVE
    My guess is that the ihigh story jumped the gun a little bit. From talking to people involved today, including the operations manager at FLW who is helping these states get the program off the ground, Tennessee is adding it, but hasn't made it official yet. Of course, it really doesn't matter as long as we are recruiting young people into the sport, that is what is important.

Post Thanks / Like

I know you have the better contacts in this industry, Tim, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge. However, we are both on the same page when it comes to the introduction of the sport to youngsters!

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

I know you have the better contacts in this industry, Tim, so I'll bow to your superior knowledge. However, we are both on the same page when it comes to the introduction of the sport to youngsters!

DAVE
    I wouldn't call it superior knowldge, more like friends in low places! That and the fact that I had to write a 1200 word article about it on short notice today. If they would have waited two days longer to announce it, I would have been on Elkhorn today!

Post Thanks / Like

Did you read my WFN piece? Not as long as yours and mainly pulled from internet-found information. I posted a link on my Facebook page.

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

Illinois was first, but you are right in that we are second. Only reason I know is that I was approached this morning when I got to work (I'm a teacher) about becoming the coach for the local high school. I started checking into it and found out Illinois was first. Anyway I am looking forward to it but there are a LOT of details to be figured out still.

Post Thanks / Like

Which school would that be, BBJ?

DAVE

Post Thanks / Like

We have a successful club here in Marshall County. Many of the schools have clubs in place that are set up and running, and there will only be slight changes now that it is a sanctioned sport. I sponsor the club here, but it primarily has been ran by very involved parents and a good group of kids. It is set up almost the same as the college circuit, but crossed with the youth TBF tournaments in that you get boaters to volunteer and captain the boat, while two kids fish. Right now it is a partnership with the TBF, and that covers the liability side of it, and I expect that to continue. The only downside of it now being sanctioned, is that we will now have to follow the same rules as any other sport - which will eliminate soliciting sponsorships to offset costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Which school would that be, BBJ?

DAVE
    I don't want to jinx it, but its in eastern Louisville.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

[QUOTE=twise7;481444][FONT=Calibri]Just to be sure we’re on the same page here…just because “bass fishing” is being added as a sport does not mean it will be taught as a class during the school day. It will be an after school activity.[/FONT]

Your are right sir, I brain f--rted. I stand corrected and humbled.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

This is not being offered as a class but as an extra-curricular activity ...DAVE
    Agreed, I flew off the handle and brain f___rted. My bad, I defer.