Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

a-rig hook style

What kind of hooks or jig heads do u use on the Alabama rig. I plan on using hollow belly or money minnow baits. Bought some big hammer swim baits to use too. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: a-rig hook style

You have a personal message.

Post Thanks / Like

I also would like to know which is good to use too. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the J-Will head from Buckeye Lures, but they are pricey. Others I have talked to like a little bit thinner wire jighead that will straighten under the pressure of braid when they get hung up. Saves on losing an expensive rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dlaws View Post
    I also would like to know which is good to use too. Thanks in advance.
    PM sent to Dlaws

Post Thanks / Like

[For the price they are charging for the Abama rig,I suggest you don't put any hooks on it at all and not take the chance of losing a very expensive rig. A person with any ability can make his own Alabama rig for almost nothing. All that is needed is some stiff wire a sinker and some swiviles. I made some and added small blades on the shafts for added attraction.
    If I lse mine I don feel so bad.

Post Thanks / Like

you can buy one for $10.00 or make one for $4.00 what's the big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Casting...ted-P2538.aspx

$4.99 each here. Unpainted head and no swivels, but I would think that any of us would have enough mechanical aptitude to bend a few wires to accept a snap swivel. And why should the head be painted anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the original question was about swimbait heads NOT the A-rig itself. You can buy the A-rigs cheap anywhere but try and get the bigger diameter wire .41 or higher I think. The smaller wire does break. I personal messaged a couple of guys wanting to know about heads, I have a friend who pours them (swimbait heads) and has a unique design at a good price but won't post his stuff publicly because of board sponsor rules. Not trying to keep anything secret but just trying to help fellow fisherman out that want help in setting up the A-rig.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Bass Master, I was wondering if your buddy makes any with an 1/8 ounce head that has a big enough hook for a 4 or 5 inch swimbait. Most of the ones I have found has a small hook. I'm wanting to make the A-rig lighter for some streams that I fish. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rob26 View Post
    Bass Master, I was wondering if your buddy makes any with an 1/8 ounce head that has a big enough hook for a 4 or 5 inch swimbait. Most of the ones I have found has a small hook. I'm wanting to make the A-rig lighter for some streams that I fish. Thanks
    not trying to answer for tim here but his buddy will make you anything you want in any combination you want. i will tell you this, you probably need to contact him soon, he has 2 pros field testing his heads and both have orders for a 100 more each. they work.
    pm bassmaster he will give you the guys number, worth the effort believe me, i used the prototypes this last fall slow reeling big swimbait for stripers, the hook up ratio is great, the action they give the body is great and they hold up well to alot of abuse.

Post Thanks / Like

I am working on 5/0 and 6/0 version for some buddies of mine so they will quite whinnin' about little hook swim bait heads...I had a guy at a tackle show yesterday ask me for the same thing...so there must be a need...lol...WE WILL SEE....