Search Fishin.com

View Poll Results: Which is more important for trolling battery life, given decent equipment?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battery

19 61.29%
  • Charger

12 38.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Battery or Charger-which is more important

Considering medium to high range equipment, which do you think is more important for trolling motor battery life, the battery or the charger.

Votes in this thread are public.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battery or Charger-which is more important

Actually both are important. But a good battery is where you start. A good battery design is key IMHO. From there you need a decent charger that can trickle charge the battery and not over charge it or over heat it near the end of the charge cycle.

I like the Blue Top Optima Deep cycle Batteries which I have had on my boat now going on the 8th year for my starting battery. The Deep cycle Optima I used for my trolling motor is still working but I took it off the boat and use it for accessories like fishing lights for night fishing. It's still accepting a charge and stays fully charged for 9 months.

I put a new bigger Optima Blue Top Trolling Battery on my boat for last season but didn't get to fish much last year. I just checked that battery yesterday and it was still fully charged. My older Optima needed a quick top off on the charger but it was showing fully charged in less than five minutes on the Minkota Automatic battery charger.

But in truth you need a good battery and a good charger to keep the battery charged up.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Love it Peter!

The chicken....or the egg.

Take in to account I am a cheap scape. A good charger just costs less than a super good battery. So I get high end chargers, and middle to cheapo batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

Good batteries & keeping them properly filled is the first step. Then properly charged second. Don't really see any difference in the two. You have to have both.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted charger. My reasoning. A bad charger will destroy a good battery. While a BAD battery cannot really damage a good charger.

A really GOOD ........pcm, digital charger will help keep a battery in tip top shape, as long as you keep water in it.

later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Charger. I am cheap and when I have bought cheap chargers I burn up my cheap batteries. I won't buy high end on either of them but Walmart batteries can last a few more years with a decent charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Batteries are batteries for the most part. With proper care and charging, you will get about the same life out of any battery of the same technology.

The difference between the portable chargers that say "Automatic" and a smart charger, either portable or onboard, is big. I'd imagine the average person would double their battery life by going to an onboard with a bank for every battery, leaving it plugged in 24/7 and checking the water several times a year.

Of course I fat-fingered it and hit the battery button in the poll. iPad and fat fingers don't mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan96 View Post
    Batteries are batteries for the most part. With proper care and charging, you will get about the same life out of any battery of the same technology.

The difference between the portable chargers that say "Automatic" and a smart charger, either portable or onboard, is big. I'd imagine the average person would double their battery life by going to an onboard with a bank for every battery, leaving it plugged in 24/7 and checking the water several times a year.

Of course I fat-fingered it and hit the battery button in the poll. iPad and fat fingers don't mix.
    Dont waste time being cheap, you know were that leads. Oaring your boat or flagging some down to pull you to the ramp. Its not worth driving some were to fish and the batterys go dead in two hours. been there done that. I now buy good stuff. So for your poll buy both good batterys and a charger.

Post Thanks / Like

You about have me sold on Blue top Optimas...maybe until I see the price.
    I'll take note of the price nect time I see it.
    Thanks
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like

long sigh....i had to pull a deep cycle today out of the boat. i can not have any luck out of batteries ! 1 year....2 years tops. high end on board charger , maintenance free, the boat is kept inside.

i am looking for a really high quality set of oars as we speak !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    long sigh....i had to pull a deep cycle today out of the boat. i can not have any luck out of batteries ! 1 year....2 years tops. high end on board charger , maintenance free, the boat is kept inside.
    Do you put it on charge as soon as possible? That's a huge factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Today I had a question about my two bank charger so I called the company that made it to ask their advise. During the conversation the tech support rep told me that they advise to keep the charger plugged in 24/7. He said it was better for the batteries and better for the charger. Said it would extend the life of both and ensure the best full charge.

Does anyone else do this? What are your thoughts?