Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter pool safety questions

Well I finally picked up our new boat! (it sure took longer to come in then I had anticipated) Once I get it registered this my family and I are anxious to soon try it out, and Barren River Lake and/or Nolin Lake is probably where we would go, likely Barren for the first time. I am hoping for some advice before we do.

I have read so many post that mention in general the dangers of going out at winter pool and I am trying to understand the specific dangers I need to be aware of. I understand the lakes are lower, and I have a depth finder that should show me how deep I am at any given point. Is it just a matter of taking it slow and watching the depth finder or is it more than that? Are there other dangers beside the lower depth? Are there hidden rocks out in the lake that you can't see very well, or something else I am not understanding. I am generally a cautious person in most circumstances, but since I have two young children I will be going even extra slow and safe.

Also, does anyone have an opinion of which would be the easiest and safest ramps to use? We will be going during a slow time on a weekday so hopefully we wouldn't be holding anyone up. I have never launched a boat before and I am sure there will be a big learning curve.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter pool safety questions

Have you driven and loaded a boat before. If not , i don't think i would take my family the first time. I would take a friend that that is very familar at doing these things.

Post Thanks / Like

On fishing trips through the years I have rented and driven boats before, but never owned one. Because of that I have never launched one. They were always in the slip when I have rented them.

Problem is I don't think I really know anyone who has much experience. So I either go it alone the first time, or have my wife there to help guide me in. If she comes along then the two children need to come two. Also we wouldn't be going very far the first time, just taking it out so everyone can 'see' the new boat.
    Last edited by SLP; 02-25-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

got port oliver ramp to put in
    keep the **** in sight and DO NOT GO BETWEEN THE ISLAND
    an you will be fine anything else go slow off plane
    use ur head steep bank usually means deeper water
    flat bank is shallow water

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by homie452 View Post
    got port oliver ramp to put in
    keep the **** in sight and DO NOT GO BETWEEN THE ISLAND
    an you will be fine anything else go slow off plane
    use ur head steep bank usually means deeper water
    flat bank is shallow water

Thanks for the advice.

I am originally from up north and did all my fishing and boating in natural lakes. And although I have lived in KY for many years now, I didn't have boat so couldn't fish much anymore. Now that we have a boat I have to get used to this winter pool thing . I am just trying to understand what to be on watch for.

I guess for that matter I have to learn how to fish these types of waters, much different I understand than fishing natural lakes. Looks like I will be having to spend hours of time conducting some research on the matter.
    Last edited by SLP; 02-25-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If your heading to Nolin I'd suggest Moutadier or however it's spelled. Wide ramp and not as tricky as Wax to navigate. Another thing about winter pool is running boat aground in the shallower water. A lake map with channel layout will be of some help just remember lake is 20' or so lower. Winter pools not so bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Homer, what Islands are you talking about? Dont want to get him confused. I am sure you are talking about the Islands beside Baileys. Once the water is at Winter pool I beleive it is a little safer for unfamiliar boaters than it would be once its on the draw down. While its on its draw down there are alot of hidden objects just a few feet below its surface.

I agree, put in at Port Oliver. I would stay on the main lake untill I was familiar with my equipment and learned the lake. You do not want to start up the creeks or river if you have never been on the lake. Skaggs creek would be the only exception to that as you can make it to the Narrows with using common sense without an issue.

Not all the channells, but 90% of the channells are located on the bluffs. If you stay on a bluff you will most likely been in the channell. I would highly recomend a GPS or a familar boater to go with you for the first time. I am sure there are several guys on here that would be willing to give you a hand.

Post Thanks / Like

the locals here call it the hoggs back island the one between the **** an baileys point it pretty shallow there an some ripples are showin
    but i agree stay on the bluff walls to navigate the lake
    use ur head
    great lake in the winter play it smart an watch out for the other crazy people just cause they do it dont try unless you know !!!!
    will be there all day tommorrow give me a shout if ya run into trouble be glad to help a fellow fisherman
    270-576-1559
    john combs ( homie )

Post Thanks / Like

The depth finder is not instantaneous as far as what you see is the depth under the boat. The faster you are going the farther BEHIND you is what you are reading. Pulling, launching and loading a boat is not as easy as it seems. It is even more difficult in the winter due to frozen wet conditions. Best piece of advice I can give you is, leave her in the garage until you can find someone experienced with boat operations and the lake that will go with you. Water temps this cold are nothing to play with and it would be an absolute tragedy if you run up on a ledge with your family in the boat. You have waited this long wait until the lakes fill up and the water is warmer at least. But if you MUST go, take the boat to Cumberland where you can put her in the middle of the lake and not worry about any ledges. This is most definitely the safest lake to navigate in the winter in Kentucky. I would still opt for leaving her parked until I found a qualified buddy to go show me the ropes.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides knowing the lake you are using, be sure to use all of your safety equip., a good habit is to always connect your kill switch to your life vest. A kill switch can save your life if you are ejected for some reason while the boat is moving.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had any issues getting through hogs back at winter pool. The island side does have a hump that comes out a good ways, which gets completely exposed during the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    On fishing trips through the years I have rented and driven boats before, but never owned one. Because of that I have never launched one. They were always in the slip when I have rented them.

Problem is I don't think I really know anyone who has much experience. So I either go it alone the first time, or have my wife there to help guide me in. If she comes along then the two children need to come two. Also we wouldn't be going very far the first time, just taking it out so everyone can 'see' the new boat.
    There can be submirged rocks, rock bars, sand bars out in some of the major lakes. Be good to have a chart of the lake you are in to know depths and then still be careful.

Now launching and more important retreiving a boat.

Rule 1) make sure your drain plug is in

Rule 2) start the motor either on dog ears (a water hose connection) in your drive before you go out to make sure it will start. If you have too just start it breifly on the trailer before you put in just to be sure it will fire, just on and off quickly.

Rule 3) have a rope tied to your boat and lauch the boat as far back (as deep) as you can get the boat into the water. It will come off the trailer easier.

Rule 4) when loading onto the trailer; keep the trailer as shallow as possible with just about 2 feet of the trailer bunks under water. Approach the trailer very very slowly, when you are lined up on the bunks power your boat gently on the bunks, finish by winching it the rest of the way, Lock the winch and attach safty chain/rope, pull the boat just out of the water, tie it down, then go to the top of the ramp.

If you try to load with the trailer too deep the boat will float over the trailer and will be hard if not impossible to center. You don't have to drive on the trailer fast or hard, slow to get centered and then power onto the trailer. I love to watch people come at their trailer at about 5 mph, miss the trailer and tear up the boat and the trailer. You want to come in about 1mph.