Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bass fishing near Louisville, KY

Hello, I am new to the site and have a question I was hoping someone could help me with.

I am an avid bass angler and I will be visiting Louisville mid April for a wedding and I find myself with a day to burn while in town. Are there any close bass waters within an hour or so? And would there be any guides on any such waters?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bass fishing near Louisville, KY

Several waters; Taylorsville Lake, Guist Creek in Shelbyville, Nolin Lake, Rough River and in Indiana Patoka Lake. I am not sure which of these have guides.

I might also suggest a float trip on Elkhorn Creek for small mouth fishing; water level permiting. You can rent a Kayak out of Canoe Kentucky outside of Frankfort, KY. No guide necessary; just make sure you get out at one of the pick-up points when finished. They can tell you about that at Canoe Kentucky.

Post Thanks / Like

What day in April?

No a whole lot within an hour really. Taylorsville or the Ohio River would be your most likely candidates. Each depends on the weather at that time of year...last year both were severly flooded in April.

Patoka is about an hour and a half, as well as the Elkhorn, Nolin, and Rough.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be April 15th.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, I just wanted to report back now that my trip to Louisville is over. I'm pleased to say I really enjoyed my time while in town and even found a great guide who was able to take me out to Taylorsville lake.

The guides name was Jarrod Swift and he was everything I'd look for in a guide. He knew the waters like the back of his hand, he had lots of experience and clearly a good stick, and really hustled to get us around and on fish... not to mention having a great personality. I had never met him prior but I'd certainly recommend him. The lake fished fairly tough but we got fish and had a fun time.

By the way, not sure how popular it is, but "Kentucky Ale" is a heck of a good beer I found at the bar outside the Hilton I stayed at!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    By the way, not sure how popular it is, but "Kentucky Ale" is a heck of a good beer I found at the bar outside the Hilton I stayed at!
    Glad you had a good time!

Kentucky Ale is a good beer. However, I am completely sold on the new Falls City. They brought it back about 2 years ago - it's not the old mix from the 60s and 70s - this new mix is the original pre-prohibition mix that started it all. It's a pale ale that is AWESOME! Up until a month or so ago, you could only get it on draft - they now have a bottler in Nashville cranking out 6-packs. They are currently setting up a brand new brewery in Louisville, where it should be, which should open in early July.

Let us know if you happen to come back to town!