Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Goodwill Industries

This disaster is going to be a test for Goodwill Industies.

The have stores located in every major city that are filled with needed household goods, clothes, some furniture, bed clothes and needed items. These items are already sorted and ready to go.

I am patiently wating to see if these donated items are distributed to those that are now in dire need.

I never understood Goodwill. To me it is a thrift store. I have never met anyone that received job tranning though Goodwill.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Goodwill Industries

Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post

The have stores located in every major city that are filled with needed household goods, clothes, some furniture, bed clothes and needed items. These items are already sorted and ready to go.

I am patiently wating to see if these donated items are distributed to those that are now in dire need.

I never understood Goodwill. To me it is a thrift store. I have never met anyone that received job tranning though Goodwill.
    I am with you on this one. They do need to step up.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodwill is always there, you probally dont use it for anything other than donations though. I work near one and alot of the poorer people use it alot. The parking lot is always full and I admit I have never been in there but I do drop alot of nice things there from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe Goodwill's business model is designed to be an emergency relief organization. They instead are set up to offer local employment opportunities while at the same time offering a wide variety of items at lower affordable prices to their community. Rather than paying retail, people can instead shop at Goodwill and often find things for a fraction of what they would regularly retail for.

While yes people donate items to Goodwill, have you ever heard of anyone donating cash like they often do to the Red Cross for example. Goodwill has to pay retail rents and a full time staff each month. If they gave away all their inventory they wouldn't be able to pay their bills and stay in operation.

I am not saying anyone should like or dislike their business model, only trying to point out they are not really set up to be or organized as a emergency relief organization.
    Last edited by SLP; 03-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK.......I may have them pegged wrong.

I speak of this because I had a tennent that rented an apartment from me several years ago after a house fire destroyed most all of his belongings. He was sleeping on the bare floor. I contacted Goodwill about assistance and they were not able to help him even with a voucher for their store or anything. The prices in the Goodwill were and are not much different than any other used furniture or consignment store.

We contacted the Salvation Army. They gave him a mattress, springs, bed frame and linnens along with a few other essentials.

He purchased a few things in consigment and thrift stores.

I would love to hear of stories how they are helping out with this disaster.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never given to goodwill, they are not for helping the poor, they sell everything that is given to them. and I know they sell it to pay their bills, and as much stuff that is given to goodwill, after paying their bills, what goes with all the extra money. now what I do with the things I want to give away, I give everything to the homeless shelter. and they GIVE, GIVE, GIVE it to the poor homeless people that need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Goodwill is a for profit organization.I donate to either the salvation army or st vincent depaul.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    Goodwill is always there, you probally dont use it for anything other than donations though. I work near one and alot of the poorer people use it alot. The parking lot is always full and I admit I have never been in there but I do drop alot of nice things there from time to time.
    Most of my clothes as a kid came from second hand stores, yard sales, and Goodwill......

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kydonky View Post

I am with you. I know our FOP lodge 614 is taking donations that will get to people who need it. I am sure there are several lodges that are doing the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Red Cross was taking donations at the Brad Paisley concert tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

My company worked with Goodwill for a number of years. We hired a number of handicapped people for jobs such as custodian, minor assembly and packaging. In every case, they trained the inidividual off site after analizing at our needs then worked with the employee for a set period of time in our facility to assure employee capability. They're not Red Cross or the Salvation Army.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm not judging the retail store but.......as a contractor working with Goodwill it was a nightmare. We completed two renovations and then declined doing anymore work with them.
    Good luck to them and I hope they continue to supply folks with goods and services.