Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

New Humminbird Software is out finally.

I just got an email from Humminbird telling me that the new software is ready for us to download now. Thank god it's finally arrived. Too bad I'm not able to fish nowdays. But all you other guys should download and update your Humminbird Units if they are able to use this new software.

It's the 6.180 version for the newer Humminbird SI units.

This will remove the text from the left side of the 898 C SI screen and move it to the bottom so that you can see more of the left side of the screen. They should have done that in the first place like they did for the 1198 units. Still I am very appreciative that Humminbird made this change.

They also have included the waypoint managment software in this new version which has been a long waited addition.

Many other new features are included like casting rings and north pointing arrows even when in Track UP view.

Lots of new stuff to play with guys.

You have to be registered at Humminbird.com before you can download this software so go get it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Humminbird Software is out finally.

I am sure this is a dumb question, but how do you download updates? I just purchased a new humminbird (858c DI) and everything is wired into the boat. I can take the unit off the bracket to bring inside but it has no power or USB ports to plug into a computer.

Post Thanks / Like

First off there are no silly questions. That's a legitimate question.

You download the software off their web site and put it on your hard drive of your computer. Turn off any virus checking software so as not to degrade the download. These virus checkers and firewalls can damage the software download sometimes. Turning off the firewall or temporarily disable the firewall so that you can download the software without any interference. This will ensure that you have a good download. Note: Once you register and go to the web site you will look for the part of the web site where humminbird stores these files. You have register first. So do that and then go to the support page and look for your profile and download the files from there. If you have questions about how to do this ask and I'll try to give more specifics on this part.

Once the file is on your computer's hard drive you should copy it to an SD OR SDHC card. You will use this card to update the Humminbird's control head on your boat.

You can update the software two ways.

1) leave the control head on the boat and make sure that the boat's battery is fully charged up and working right. Then using the current software in the control head go though the menus and reset the unit to it's default settings. This is critical. You must do this first.

After you have the unit set to it's defaults simply turn it off and insert SDHC card with the new software on it and then close the door. Turn the unit on and follow the onscreen instructions. The program will autoexecute itself as the control head boots up. You will see a message if you have done this right.

That's all there is to this. Just make sure that your unit is on the list that's compatable with the software being downloaded and installed.

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    I am sure this is a dumb question, but how do you download updates? I just purchased a new humminbird (858c DI) and everything is wired into the boat. I can take the unit off the bracket to bring inside but it has no power or USB ports to plug into a computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, that was a great explanation!

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome. Fat32 is the format for the reformating the SDHC card. I just downloaded the file from humminbird off my user page and put it on a newly formated SDHC card. I was able to use this card to successfully update my 898 C SI unit to the 6.180 software version.

It took me a while to figure out how to turn off the text numbers on the left side of the screen. You have to use the sonar menu to turn them off. If I had not watched a U tube video on how to do this I would not have figured it out. Still it took me a while to get this figured out.

I pushed the boat out of the garage so that I could reach the control head and take out the old SDHC map and SDHC card for my waypoints etc and then put the current software back into default settings. I turn the unit off and installed the new SDHC card with the new software on it and turn the control head back on. I answered the two questions and went to get a cup of coffee and let the unit update itself. It took a few minutes to complete but all went well from what I can see for now. Man it's cold out there . My fingers were getting numb trying to go though the menus to figure out all the new things. I had to come back inside and warm up. And it's only 45 deg F out there. It feels better in the house where it's a nice balmy 76 deg F. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Thank you, that was a great explanation!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    Your welcome. Fat32 is the format for the reformating the SDHC card. I just downloaded the file from humminbird off my user page and put it on a newly formated SDHC card. I was able to use this card to successfully update my 898 C SI unit to the 6.180 software version.

It took me a while to figure out how to turn off the text numbers on the left side of the screen. You have to use the sonar menu to turn them off. If I had not watched a U tube video on how to do this I would not have figured it out. Still it took me a while to get this figured out.

I pushed the boat out of the garage so that I could reach the control head and take out the old SDHC map and SDHC card for my waypoints etc and then put the current software back into default settings. I turn the unit off and installed the new SDHC card with the new software on it and turn the control head back on. I answered the two questions and went to get a cup of coffee and let the unit update itself. It took a few minutes to complete but all went well from what I can see for now. Man it's cold out there . My fingers were getting numb trying to go though the menus to figure out all the new things. I had to come back inside and warm up. And it's only 45 deg F out there. It feels better in the house where it's a nice balmy 76 deg F. LOL
    Can you take your head unit off and update in the house. U got that battery system in your house. Like when you helped me that one time

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: New Humminbird Software is out finally.

Quote Originally Posted by psvec View Post
    Can you take your head unit off and update in the house. U got that battery system in your house. Like when you helped me that one time
    Sorry I didn't answer as I have not been home at the computer since last Sunday. I'm home now only because my mom's back in the hosptial again and I got some time away to come home.

Yes I can update the software by taking the control head off the boat and bringing it into the house. I'd have to wire up the power cord (PC-11) or [Part #720057-1] to a 12 volt cigarette lighter and use my power pack as it's got a 12 volt cigarette lighter like plug hole on it. Or I could wire the power supply directly to a the car battery terminal. I've got one of those Min Kota Battery Boxes that has a top with two 12 volt cigarette lighter type power outlets on the top. And it's got some wing nuts to connect up to as well.

Just have to make sure that the battery is fully charged up and will provide a good 12 volts to the control head during the update process.

I've also got one of the cables that can be used to hook the control head up to the computer. It the AS PC2 part #700035-1.

And I've got one of the AS USB Part #760018-1 USB to Serial Port Adaptors. I think that is used to connect the above cable to the computer if you don't have the serial port on your computer.

I read that these cables can be use to fix the control head if it gets a bad update. I don't know how to do that as I've never had to do it yet. Knock on wood. All my hardware firmware updates have gone well so far.