I know that there is a lot of knowledge and experience on this board so I have a question about eating suckers. Suckers as I remember them have a great taste, but are so full of small forked bones that many people, me for example, just do attempt to eat them. Many of the bones are the size of a hair and really wanted to stick in my throat. When I was young, a very long time ago, a distant relative loved to catch suckers to eat in the spring when they were spawning in shallow water. I remember hearing him discuss a unusual method for preparing them to eat since they were full of the small forked bones. I was too young to pay much attention and never saw him do this in person but as I remember his method involved basically scaling and then filleting them. His method was different because at this point he would take a single edge razor blade and holding it between thumb and fore finger, to control the depth of cut, would make a series of diagonial cuts (avoiding cutting completely through the fillet) about one quarter inch apart across the fillet, turn the fillet over, change ends and start making cuts again. By doing this he avoided cutting completely through the fillet and avoided making cuts that matched. They would actually be like making an X, but the cuts would be on opposite sides of the fillet. His wife would fry them very brown in hot oil. He said this would dissolve the small bones and they could then be eaten without danger from the bones. Has anyone else heard of this method or do you have a different method to share? Input is appreciated.