Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Straight Talk from KDFWR Re: Inflatable PFD's

I went out to KDFWR this morning and spoke with Major Estes. A very nice fellow and temporarily in charge of the Law Enforcement Division. He gave me a copy of: 301 KAR 6:020 Boating Safety Equipment and he highlighted the section we here have been discussing. I will only put the highlighted portion on here.

Section 4. Personal Flotation Devices.
    (7) An operator may substitute Type V personal flotation devices for other required personal flotation device, if the Type V device:
    (a) Is approved by the U.S. Coast Guard for the type of vessel and activity in which the vessel is being used; and
    (b) Is being used according to the approved conditions on the label.

He told me they will be discussing this issue very soon. I also suggested that they talk about it on their live "call In" show on Kentucky Afield. They are planning to get more information out here for everyone so be watching. And I mentioned to Lee McClellan that maybe he could post an article on here regarding this issue so watch for that too.

So what does this mean? It means that we can use an inflatable without having to have a Type II laying out on the deck and available. It means we do not have to wear them all the time if we don't want to (exception is the labeling by Coast Guard which states it must be worn to be approved). So check the label on your inflatable PFD's to see if yours must be worn at all times.

I hope this clears everything up. It does for me. If any of you have any questions I would be glad to answer them if I can.
    Last edited by Carter1; 03-06-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Straight Talk from KDFWR Re: Inflatable PFD's

Thank for geting it and posting it here, Carter, that is exactly the same as what I posted previously citing page 41 of the Boating Regulations. I hope they take your advice and publicize it much more widley than it has been. (I got your PM, thanks)

Grumpy.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome Grumpy.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Straight Talk from KDFWR Re: Inflatable PFD's

thanks! i have a suspenders and a mustang. Both worn FULL TIME when i am out and fishing partner does same. comfortable and could save your life one day. i also have 3 vest types that are always in boat in case of failure or deployment of the inflatable. last time at dale, water patrol was out checking all other boats and believe the reason i did not get checked is because EVERYBODY in my boat was wearing a life jacket. they also did not see any fish getting caught but that is a different story........

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much Carter. I guess you live near Frankfort? Maybe you can be our official KDFW reporter. When questions like this and for example "is it legal to fish in a marina" come up we would have the official answer. Laws and regulations can be difficult to write clearly.

Another one is the creel limit and how it relates to how many you can have in your possession. As I remember from a discussion a while back it seemed that if you were camping on your boat for a week and the daily limit and possession was two fish and you had not eaten any of the fish you could only keep two fish all week (have two fish in your cooler). However if you had a lake house and put two fish in the freezer every day you could end up with 14 fish. Not sure this is the effect of the regulation and I remember there being some confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

That might work Peter. Maybe if there is a thread where people can post their questions that we can't get a good answer here then I could go over to KDFWR and get the answer and post it here.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't you wear a PFD of anykind while on the water?

Post Thanks / Like

Kygorski, I can't disagree with you on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Carter1, Thanks for taking the time in getting this info. This is what makes this forum such a great site!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Because it is MY PERSONAL CHOICE........Just like seat belts. I don't understand why gubment thinks it is their responsibility to protect my BUTT from myself.

With that said, I choose to wear my life vest and I choose to wear my seat belt.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome papawbass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    I'd imagine its the same reason people don't like to wear helmets while on a motorcycle. I'm not condoning either, as I wear my PFD's and would wear a helmet if I had a motorcycle. I'm just playing devils advocate on this one.

There does seem to be some miss-communication somewhere about this between upper echelons and the field workers.
    Last edited by ErikSmith; 03-14-2012 at 07:55 PM.