Search Fishin.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't argue with that. He didn't mention trout and I didn't ask that question. I specifically inquired about Stripers and that was the response he gave me. I agree that it is not a good idea to cull stripers. The officer would probably not take too kindly to seeing a trail of those dead. I am not a practitioner of culling anyway. Once they hit my livewell, that's it. I feel they are too stressed by the conditions and any species of fish may be likely to die. I am not a tourney fisherman and fish for food and enjoyment. If you check my freezer, you'll find bluegill, crappie, channel cats and white bass.

Post Thanks / Like
    One more thought. I think it is important to be a good sportsman and consider my actions and implications from said actions when fishing and hunting. I don't take more than my family and I can eat. Also, I feel it would be unsportsmanlike to even consider culling a fish that has been on a stringer - any fish. Our lakes and rivers are not infinite providers of fish. There are regulations for a reason. I want to enjoy it the rest of my life and would like my daughters to be able to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishindude View Post
    One more thought. I think it is important to be a good sportsman and consider my actions and implications from said actions when fishing and hunting. I don't take more than my family and I can eat. Also, I feel it would be unsportsmanlike to even consider culling a fish that has been on a stringer - any fish. Our lakes and rivers are not infinite providers of fish. There are regulations for a reason. I want to enjoy it the rest of my life and would like my daughters to be able to do the same.
    Well said my friend...well said

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for calling KDFWR.

I agree with you personnel preference on culling. I would call that guy back and ask him to read the first paragraph in the 2016 fishing regs and then see what he says about culling with an additional fish when there is already a daily limit in the boat. The same sentence "seems" to also give permission to keep fishing after a limit is reached as long as you don't keep or cull using the additional fish. Here it is. Seems like pretty plain English to me.

http://fw.ky.gov/fishboatguide/Pages...lations.aspx#1

If you do call him back can you report what he says back here please.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=Jared Harmon;554789]I assume your talking about striper fishing Peter. Here is what I learned the hard way. Your limit alone is 2 fish. If you put 2 fish in your cooler you are legally supposed to quit striper fishing. It is illegal to give an extra fish to someone else. You have your possession limit when you boat your second keeper. If you continue fishing or net another striper while you have your limit you go over your possession limit and can be ticketed. I have found the only way you can legally release fish is to per say put 1 n the cooler and release until you want to keep your second fish, then stop striper fishing. There is a huge grey area with each individual officer and if you find one in a bad mood he is going to right you for something regardless. As far as catching your daily limit and going to the dock and cleaning and coming back out...it is illegal as well. The first fish you net coming back out you go over your daily possession limit. Many many guys do it, I see it done everyday. I see lots of guides coming in with their limits as well which is also illegal on a paid trip. We aren't allowed to let customers keep 2 extra fish for our limit. We can catch the 2 fish ourselves and then bag and tag the fillets and give to customers. I will only release striper November thru April and then I will not because of the mortality rate on the fish. If I have 4 customers and we have 7 fish n the cooler I will pull all lines but 1 anymore, just not worth the chance of getting ticketed. Some won't, some will. Only way I have found to catch and release legally is to get one fish from our limit and let the customer tell me when he wants to quit and keep his last fish. Then by ky law we are to stop striper fishing. Sometimes if we limited very fast most guys think it's a drag race to see who's first to the dock but I have gotten to where I enjoy spending time with my customers. Some days we'll go bottom fish for cats. Pitch some jigs for smallies, or anything we can to spend some time on the water to keep people happy and coming back. Some people like to bang em out quick. Some absolutely hate to.go to the dock in 45 minutes after they've drove 4,5,6 or 7 hours down here and spent over a grand to come fish with us on the trip, gas, room and board, food etc. Sometimes they wanna spend time out there. But the facts I have stated are simply what I have learned myself directly from the law enforcement division. Like someone else stated it really does boil down to the individual officer that stops you and what kind of mood he's in at that time. Some of em are very easy going guys and some of em anytime they see a fisherman they're going to stop and ya and find something to right you a ticket for.[/QUOTE

I like your way of thinking, if you pay for a 8 hour trip and only stay out for an hour doesn't go over well . Big thumbs up .
    Likes Jared Harmon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jared. Too bad the regulations can't be written better. It is very hard to write regs though and because of that it is very hard to interpret what the reg says.

For example in the species chart list below the listings there are notations on what the ** mean.

*** means species possession limit is twice daily creel limit. However brown trout is the only one I see with three ***

Down the page it says all species possession limit is twice daily creel for all species with a daily creel limit.

If you look at that species chart closely walleye and sauger could count against your smallmouth and largemouth limit. I know that is not the intent but it could be interpreted that way. The black bass heading is difficult at best to see what it refers to. Is a coosa bass a black bass.

I guess one could spend a many hours looking at all the krs fishing laws and determining how the fishing regs relate to them. How the regs can't differ from krs if specifically mentioned in krs.
    On and on. Only the judge can decide and only the lawyer can argue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Thanks for calling KDFWR.

I agree with you personnel preference on culling. I would call that guy back and ask him to read the first paragraph in the 2016 fishing regs and then see what he says about culling with an additional fish when there is already a daily limit in the boat. The same sentence "seems" to also give permission to keep fishing after a limit is reached as long as you don't keep or cull using the additional fish. Here it is. Seems like pretty plain English to me.

http://fw.ky.gov/fishboatguide/Pages...lations.aspx#1

If you do call him back can you report what he says back here please.
    Peter,

I called them back and received a different answer. The way the regulation reads is the way he said it is. You can cull any fish except trout until you reach the daily limit. Once a limit is reached, you can no longer cull. You can keep fishing, you just have to release the fish immediately. Thanks for the link. The description is plain as day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast56 View Post
    your lucky if you catch 1 tyme...lol only way you could limit out is if you count the bait
    I thought we made Tyme's limit one--- last year????
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Thanks Jared. Too bad the regulations can't be written better. It is very hard to write regs though and because of that it is very hard to interpret what the reg says.

For example in the species chart list below the listings there are notations on what the ** mean.

*** means species possession limit is twice daily creel limit. However brown trout is the only one I see with three ***

Down the page it says all species possession limit is twice daily creel for all species with a daily creel limit.

If you look at that species chart closely walleye and sauger could count against your smallmouth and largemouth limit. I know that is not the intent but it could be interpreted that way. The black bass heading is difficult at best to see what it refers to. Is a coosa bass a black bass.

I guess one could spend a many hours looking at all the krs fishing laws and determining how the fishing regs relate to them. How the regs can't differ from krs if specifically mentioned in krs.
    On and on. Only the judge can decide and only the lawyer can argue.
    Fish and wildlife rules and regs aren't very specified about a lot of things to do with fishing and hunting, hence the "grey area". There are things we could all talk about for years. When the big "under cover" investigation was done on Cumberland guides (that I'm sure many don't even know about) I personally sat down with the commissioner, county attorneys, head of law enforcement division, individual c.o.'s and many more togethor, individually and so on many times asking some of the same questions that have been asked in this thread. Most could not clearly answer even half of my questions fully. Each would tell you something, some would tell you the exact opposite of what their direct boss said, some would plainly state the "grey area" speech, some would tell me they honestly didn't know and couldn't answer my question. I asked the same 5 or 6 questions to 7 or 8 and really never got the same answer. The one thing that really shocked me was in was told blatantly from a very high ranking f & w official that "guides" have a whole different set of rules and regs than the weekend fisherman yet the kdfwr could not and has not ever supplied or made a separate reg book for commercial guides. Well how do we know what our "different" rules are if we don't have them on paper? How can this c.o. ticket me for this of its not a regulation in the book? Believe me, some will argue this, some won't understand but I spent time with many of these direct issues in a lawyers office and meetings with fish and wildlife over a period of about a year. If they wanna write you a ticket, they're going to write you a ticket, period. I try hard to obide by all rules and regs and general common sense applications of our fish and wildlife provide. The best thing I have found to do is, if you are in question...don't do it. If you think it could be wrong...don't do it. 9 times outta 10, you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha...jared nailed it! If it smells "fishy" to you....imagine what its going to smell like to the game warden!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jared, I agree. If it seems questionable at all, don't do it. I had a warden tell a friend of mine that your limit is per "calendar" day. Which he interpreted as the calendar day changes at midnight. The warden said if he took pictures of his stripers and had two before midnight and two after, he would be okay. I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole! That sounds fishy to me!! By the way, another warden told him it was 24 hour period from when you begin fishing. 2 different interpretations of the regulation.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a very GRAY area for sure. I was told (face to face standing on the dock cleaning fish) "if you go out the evening of eg. April 28th and catch a limit of stripers between 5-6 pm , you are perfectly legal to go back out the morning of April 29th and resume fishing with a creel count reset to zero.

However, if you go out tonight at 11pm and I check you at 1am ( after the calendar date has changed at midnight) and you have 6 stripers in the boat for 2 people you would have exceeded the daily creel limit and be in violation. He explained his understanding is there must be a break in that trip at the change of calendar day to reset your creel count, therefore that is how he would govern and enforce that creel law.
    and guess what, he and the other game wardens on lake cumberland are who I will be interacting with....so if they say thats the way it is????? .....then by golly thats the way it is