Search Fishin.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishindude View Post
    One more thought. I think it is important to be a good sportsman and consider my actions and implications from said actions when fishing and hunting. I don't take more than my family and I can eat. Also, I feel it would be unsportsmanlike to even consider culling a fish that has been on a stringer - any fish. Our lakes and rivers are not infinite providers of fish. There are regulations for a reason. I want to enjoy it the rest of my life and would like my daughters to be able to do the same.
    I go fishing with the intent of catching enough fish to clean and eat or clean and freeze. Unfortunately, I only catch 2 crappie, so not enough to really amount to much. Both are still very much alive in the livewell or on the stringer.

Not kosher to put them back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    I go fishing with the intent of catching enough fish to clean and eat or clean and freeze. Unfortunately, I only catch 2 crappie, so not enough to really amount to much. Both are still very much alive in the livewell or on the stringer.

Not kosher to put them back?
    To my way of thinking, it's just as "kosher" to put those keepers back as it is to release any non-keepers you catch ... as long as they're in good health. I've done it plenty of times, when I don't catch enough to bother cleaning. But, if they're dead or distressed ... they go home to the fillet knife !!

Can't say much about the use of a "stringer", though, since I haven't used one in forever .... BUT, I NEVER hooked a fish on a stringer by putting the hook through the gills !! I always hooked them through the bottom lip membrane.

Post Thanks / Like
    With regard to continuing to fish for stripers after a limit is reaches, and the culling rules, I think there is a major distinction here between how the fish are kept in the boat. Certainly, most stripers go into a cooler. I remember the guys that "tried" to keep the stripers alive in the tuna tubes. I'd say that is the only way you are going to legally be allowed to cull stripers. If the fish are on ice, it's a done deal. And from what I remember, those tubes failed miserably so please don't go out and buy or make a tube just so you can cull stripers.. LOL
    Likes PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    ok lets go one step further down the road of gray areas....
    creel limits are set on a "per day basis" ....
    if you start fishing at 7pm does your "creel limit" reset to zero at 1201am that same night?
    year before last when the night bite for walleye was so good we just hated leaving when we caught our limit, which was usually pretty quick at that time. but we did leave, night after night. one evening when we were launching the local CO drove down to the ramp and chatted with us and i asked him the same question and he said it was the gray area from heck. he said he wouldnt have ay problem at all if we loaded the boat on the trailer , left and came back WITHOUT FISH after midnight .

im satisfied with his answer but curious as to what the black and white rule is, not the gray one.
    I know in Alaska they have special guided trips for Halibut that start at night so you can get a limit for one day, the trip lasts until the morning and once it hits midnight its a new day and you can keep another limit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stop fishing for stripers when I get my limit and will continue to fish for walleye. But I guess since it is dark the stripers can't tell it's a walleye bait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wichita View Post
    No matter the situation, anything over a limit is selfish and un-sportsman like in my opinion. Save em' for another day.
    Correct answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also to add to what others stated, giving fish to other boats or to people on shore count toward your daily limit.