Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Legal to give fish away?

Say...you are trolling and you catch multiple fish which puts you over the limit, can you give fish to a close by fisherman and have that count toward their limit?

You would likely have to bring the "over the limit" fish into your boat to de-hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Legal to give fish away?

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    You would likely have to bring the "over the limit" fish into your boat to de-hook.
    Don't you have to do just that to cull fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Say...you are trolling and you catch multiple fish which puts you over the limit, can you give fish to a close by fisherman and have that count toward their limit?

Not Legal

Post Thanks / Like

ok,you reach your limit in 2hrs. does that mean you have to quit fishing ? is it legal to leave and take your fish home then return to catch another limit ? another question..........if you have your limit in the boat and catch another fish at the same time a game warden pulls up to your boat can it result in a fine ????

Post Thanks / Like

youcan fish all day. youjust cant keep anything else, unless you throw one back to keep a different one

Post Thanks / Like

Good question... I was always under the understanding that if you had your daily limit say 6 bass and you made another cast - that cast was illegal. But I would believe that giving it away would be the same as releasing the fish as so not not go over your "possession" limit. JMO???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by first2fish View Post
    ok,you reach your limit in 2hrs. does that mean you have to quit fishing ? is it legal to leave and take your fish home then return to catch another limit ? another question..........if you have your limit in the boat and catch another fish at the same time a game warden pulls up to your boat can it result in a fine ????
    You can only have one limit per day

Post Thanks / Like

The limits are set as daily limits so no you could not return to the water a second time in a day and legally take home anymore of the same species.

As far as culling or giving your fish away... It honestly doesn't matter what the law is. It's such a gray area. It only matters which game warden you deal with and what kind of mood they're in. JMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO I understand it to mean that a limit is a limit and you can't keep more then that number regardless if you give some away or not.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a limit of fish, lets say bass, in your boat and a CO pulls up just as you catch another one that is not a problem. You are allowed to cull in this state. So, you compare the fish you just caught to the smallest one in your livewell and then release the smallest one. We do it all the time in tournaments. (Well, I always hope I can ) Anyway, you would not get a citation for that.
    When it comes to giving fish away that is different. Lets look at catfish for a moment. If you look under statewide regulations in the Fishing Guide you will see catfish is not listed. So, if you catch a catfish and see a family nearby trying to catch anything that will bite and want to give it to them I don't see a problem with that. The exception is on bodies of water where they have a creel limit for catfish like at the Game Farm Lakes. On the otherhand, if you catch a bass and already have a limit but give that bass to someone else I believe that is considered poaching. If you catch a limit of any species listed that has a daily limit and you keep them that day you cannot go out and catch another limit to "keep" the same day. You may however go out and keep fishing for them as long as you release them. Most of this is my take on the regs as I read them. If you want a more definite answer on any of it post your question in a new thread so I can make a list of the questions to get the facts for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carter1 View Post
    If you have a limit of fish, lets say bass, in your boat and a CO pulls up just as you catch another one that is not a problem. You are allowed to cull in this state. So, you compare the fish you just caught to the smallest one in your livewell and then release the smallest one. We do it all the time in tournaments. (Well, I always hope I can ) Anyway, you would not get a citation for that.
    When it comes to giving fish away that is different. Lets look at catfish for a moment. If you look under statewide regulations in the Fishing Guide you will see catfish is not listed. So, if you catch a catfish and see a family nearby trying to catch anything that will bite and want to give it to them I don't see a problem with that. The exception is on bodies of water where they have a creel limit for catfish like at the Game Farm Lakes. On the otherhand, if you catch a bass and already have a limit but give that bass to someone else I believe that is considered poaching. If you catch a limit of any species listed that has a daily limit and you keep them that day you cannot go out and catch another limit to "keep" the same day. You may however go out and keep fishing for them as long as you release them. Most of this is my take on the regs as I read them. If you want a more definite answer on any of it post your question in a new thread so I can make a list of the questions to get the facts for you.
    You may want to check more into this. I know a guy who runs a tourney on Cedar Creek with 1 20" fish as a limit for one angler. His limit was set at 2 and was approached by game wardens stating that "With one fish in the livewell with one angler, if that angler catches another keeper he is in violation of the law and is over the limit (with immediate posession of the second fish) as soon as that 2nd fish is in the boat. Grant it, this would have to be witnessed by a game official. This guy cut the limit back to one per boat for two anglers and will weigh in a single fish for immediate release for one angler and allow that angler to continue to fish for a culls. This is also the reason that most tourneys are a fish limit, the 6th fish should never be in your livewell and thus one would be always culling the 5th fish. This has always been a question and I for one would like some clarification on this as well. Always seem to be conflicting interpretations.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for chiming in Carter. I was going to give it a while and then suggest we see if you were interested in "going to the source" for the answer.

Here is my question again:
    Say...you are trolling and you catch multiple fish which puts you over the limit, can you give fish to a close by fisherman and have that "count" toward "their" limit?