Search Fishin.com

Thread: Snap swivels

Post Thanks / Like

Snap swivels

I haven't used a snap swivel since I was a kid and I guess have always kind of considered them amateur since I learned a few good knots and how to tie them quickly. But I was just listening to a podcast where they were talking about the conveinence of them for changing lures even quicker and saving line. It makes sense but I worry about the appearance and action of my lures. Does anyone use snap swivels for bass fishing? If so do you think it affects the number of bites you get? And also what color do you use?

I figure this would be an affective way to find a pattern quickly especially when I'm wading in the creeks or bank fishing on small lakes or ponds but I feel presentation is high up on the list of things NOT to be sacrificed.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snap swivels

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I've been looking at the norman speed clips. I think these would be great for crankbaits, jerkbaits, and topwater. I have not used them, but am going to give them a try. I hope they work.

Post Thanks / Like

I ue snap swivels with crankbaits and have no problem as far as the fish go. I do notice though once in a while that the swivel comes apart after some use. I don't know if that is due to inferior workmanship or some other cause. I have tried the Norman Speed Clips and have almost lost a lure because of them. I am leery of using them again.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a snap on my bass crank bait rods. Not a snap swivle but just a snap. You can find them right in the snap swivle section. Not only is it easy to change cranks quick, it also allows the bait to have more action. The ones I use come from Bass Pro and I've never had one come open on it's own. You can use a pretty small one and you can't hardly see the thing.
    A mistake I make, and will probably contiinue to make, is not retying the snap often enough. While it is easy to change baits, the line at the knot can get worn just like any other tied on bait. I'm usually good for a "cast off" or two with every week long trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always believed that swivels negatively affected the action of lures. The exceptions would be spinners, I have always used a swivel when casting a spinner.
    Last edited by SLP; 03-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use them with crankbaits, I don't think it makes a bit of difference in how the crankbait runs.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

My experience is big bill deep diver cranks it doesn't affect. But long slender narrow shallow running lures, I've seen an impact on how the lures run.

Size matters too. Take a little 2 inch prop bait and a big swivel, vs. big Redfin with a small swivel. Weight of the swivel has it's own impact to different degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought baits that had a snap on them right out of the package ,so appearantly the manufacturer did'nt think it affected it's action in a neg way.I guess a person could take them off.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate using snap swivels for fishin. I like using really fine wire snaps. They make them now that are really thin and are still rated at 15 and up to 40 lbs. I have even used them jig fishing for smallies in clear water with no ill effects. I use them mainly in creeks and when fishing with 8lbs test or less. I never use them when the ability or need to "HAUL ON 'EM" is a factor. Some lures can even go without the nose split ring if you use a snap. I have taken off the nose ring on countdowns while trout fishing and then used a snap when bass fishing. Worked fine. Handy on a kayak when re-tying is a problem.