Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about becoming a Kayak Fishing Guide

Ok guys, Ive been in Florida now long enough that Ive got it down. I am pretty confident in my abilities to put people on fish any day, any time of the year. I can also offer eco tours featuring gators, bald eagles and other wildlife. Im about thirty minutes from Destin and Pensacola Beach.

I can take clients fishing up in the back water rivers, the bay and sound, and out in the Gulf and most spots we can be on the water in less than thirty minutes from their hotel. I would pick up the clients from their hotel and take them to the launch site.

My main question, how much would YOU pay per hour to have some one take you fishing on a kayak? Your boat, safety gear, fishing gear and soft drinks/water will be provided.

Any input would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking about becoming a Kayak Fishing Guide

My first question would be: Do you have a Near Coastal OUPV Captain's License and are you carrying business liability for the business. You may already have these items covered...but I would ask unless it was in your business advertisement.

Have no idea what you should charge...normally this is based on the norm for a guided trip in that area...but kind of hard to compare sitting in a Kayak on the Gulf of Mexico to being in a charter boat. Are there any other folks doing this type charter there?

Post Thanks / Like

www.kayak-excursions.com/fishing.html

you might get an idea of what you are looking for at the above site.

good luck to you

Post Thanks / Like

No USCG licensing or certification required. Though I may pursue a USCG 6 pak captain's license because I do have a boat and could branch out into that, plus clients do like to see some credentials from their guide.

If any one is in the area in the near future and dont mind be a guinea pig, let me know and we can go, of course no charge.

Post Thanks / Like

i would love to go....but i insist you let me take care of the fuel in the kayaks.....the least i could do

good luck to you sounds like a fun trip, different from what others are offering, you just might attract people who are wanting a more quiet day in the outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD7.62 View Post
    No USCG licensing or certification required. Though I may pursue a USCG 6 pak captain's license because I do have a boat and could branch out into that, plus clients do like to see some credentials from their guide.

If any one is in the area in the near future and dont mind be a guinea pig, let me know and we can go, of course no charge.

What exempts you from having a Captain's License when you are carrying passengers for hire on near coastal waters? That is of course unless you are in one man Kayaks and you are just basically acting as a tour guide from your one man Kayak to someone else in another Kayak....I am guessing this is the reason.

Ok..checked out the site that StriperNut put up...I see all the Kayaks there are one man Kayaks....that answers my question. Sounds like a great enterprise......I would think you would do very well with Kayak enthusiasts. I did notice that there was no mention of any certifications of the guides on the website that StriperNut put up. If I were starting the business, I would personally get at least some kind of certification if I did not already have one from a nationally recognized Kayak organization or as mentioned before, A Captain's license which would show folks that I was a professional and had some training rather than just someone that decided to buy a few Kayaks and go into business.
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 03-09-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You dont have to be a kayak enthusiast to enjoy kayak fishing. Its surprisingly easy to paddle and fish even for a complete beginner.

My rates of course would be a fraction of the price that charter boat Captains charge. The funny thing is, more often then not we will be fishing the side by side these charter boats. My clients will have the satisfaction of knowing they saved a ton of money to catch the same fish, Nantucket Sleigh Rides are free.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be in Navarre Fl from June 9-15 on vacation at a house on hwy 98 on the sound. I have my own kayak and would love to go out. I've done big charter boats down there but I'd like to give this a try. I attempted to send you a PM but for some reason I don't think it worked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AWill View Post
    I'll be in Navarre Fl from June 9-15 on vacation at a house on hwy 98 on the sound. I have my own kayak and would love to go out. I've done big charter boats down there but I'd like to give this a try. I attempted to send you a PM but for some reason I don't think it worked.
    PM Sent, I live in Navarre about five minutes from the beach.

Red Snapper will be open then too so perfect timing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, I havnt bought any extra yaks out but Ive been playing guide lately and have gained some good experience regarding how to handle a complete beginner not only to kayaking but fishing as well.

I recently took my cousin out who had never fished saltwater nor sat in a yak and he landed two king mackerel and several spanish mackerel. What a blast to have those fish rip out line at twenty miles an hour.

The fishing has been fantastic down here. In the past two weeks Ive landed dozens of king mackerel, more spanish then one could count, a few mahi mahi, a cobia and even had a sailfish all lit up swim around my yak. Unfortunately for me I had ran out of leader material so I had nothing to throw at the sail.

Inshore is great as well. Took my pops offshore and inshore last Friday. He too is an inexperienced angler and yakker yet we managed to land a limit of kings in less than an hr of fishing, drag our yaks across the island and slay the specks and reds on the grass flats. What a day.

If any of you ever find yourself in the Pensacola to Destin area and wanting to wet a line or feel what its like to be towed around by a big fish in a small boat give me a shout, jldowns04 at g mail dot com

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea! What size yaks do you recommend out there? I looked into that for the Bradenton area when I was there last Christmas and found a few but time didn't allow it.

Post Thanks / Like

Most people use twelve to fourteen foot kayaks.

Around here the Hobie Mirage drive kayaks such as the Outback, Pro Angler and Revolution are the most popular though they are pretty spendy. I just sold my boat because I live forty five minutes from the nearest pass but just five minutes from the beach.

With my kayak I can have it loaded up, on the beach, paddle a mile or two to my spot and start catching red snapper, triggerfish, grouper, mackerel, etc faster then I could with my boat. Plus it saves me a a good bit of money. I usually catch my own bait so my trips on my kayak cost me just the gas to drive the two and a half miles to the beach, a few hooks and leader material, and what ever snacks and drinks I want for the day. Cant beat that.