Search Fishin.com

Thread: Black Bear sign

Post Thanks / Like

Black Bear sign

I saw my father in law talking to his brother in front of the garden, about 150yrds from my house. When he got done he came by and said that his brother had bear tracks in his garden and part of the garden has dug up where he had some turnips planted. I am not really suprised that bears are in the area, just a little suprised that they are so close. I'm going to talk to my girls-4 & 5-and explain to them, without scaring them, not to go play with any kind of animal that they my see. One of my girls will run like the devil if she see's a wierd bug let alone some type of animal. Her sister is a totally different story, not scared of anything and very curious. Its gonna keep me on my toes for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Black Bear sign

Make sure you tell them not to run, to just back away slowly. Often times running will only trigger a chase response in the bear.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_T View Post
    Make sure you tell them not to run, to just back away slowly. Often times running will only trigger a chase response in the bear.
    Yea I will thanks. I think if my little one should see it, the ear peircing, ultra high decible scream she would let out might send the bear running first. I swear that kid has some pipes on her. But seriously thanks for the advice, I don't want to scare them, but want them to know what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem. I have a little experience in bear country, so I have read a lot about what to do/not to do. I only really have one troubling expereince, but it worked out. I had a sow with cubs run me out of the Rapidan River in Shenandoah National Park once about 7 or 8 years ago. I didn't run, but after it was over I almost needed new waders!

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience around bears so I would be lost in bear country. Can't imagine the emotions of knowing one has been around when the little ones are out.
    Might be time to keep a dog out when the kids are out. Not sure that would work but it sounds good. I guess if you had a good sized dog it might be enough to warn you or make a bear hesitate to come around.???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokefan View Post
    I saw my father in law talking to his brother in front of the garden, about 150yrds from my house. When he got done he came by and said that his brother had bear tracks in his garden and part of the garden has dug up where he had some turnips planted. I am not really suprised that bears are in the area, just a little suprised that they are so close. I'm going to talk to my girls-4 & 5-and explain to them, without scaring them, not to go play with any kind of animal that they my see. One of my girls will run like the devil if she see's a wierd bug let alone some type of animal. Her sister is a totally different story, not scared of anything and very curious. Its gonna keep me on my toes for sure.
    Is this in the Williamsburg area?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I moved just south of Williamsburg, I now live in the small community of Newcomb Tn. I imagine that the bears are have migrated from the Big South Fork. Not sure where else they could have came from.

Post Thanks / Like

I would never harm anything out in the wild, not even a snake. but if a rattler or a bear came around my home where my small kids live and play. something real bad would happen to them. and it would be another secret I would have to live with. the bear may show up and the kids can back off and get in the house safe, then again the bear may come around the house and be between the kids and the house. a bear ain't worth a child's life. after something goes wrong and a bear gets a hold of a child it's to late. like old Barney said, " nip it in the bud."

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to do everything I can to avoid confrontation, but make no mistake I WILL DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES to protect my family. The 12 gauge is loaded and close at hand-my hand that is out of reach of the kids. I wonder if I called the TNDNR if they could or would do anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokefan View Post
    I am going to do everything I can to avoid confrontation, but make no mistake I WILL DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES to protect my family. The 12 gauge is loaded and close at hand-my hand that is out of reach of the kids. I wonder if I called the TNDNR if they could or would do anything?
    They can, the question is if they will. They get calls from a lot of people wanting bears relocated. I found a pretty good video from them, and around the 11-12 minute mark they talk about that.

http://web.me.com/tnwildlife/TNBEARINFO/tnbearinfo.html