Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sympsons Lake in Bardstown

Does anyone ever have any luck fishing there? I live in Bardstown and have fished this lake several times with not much luck at all. Yes I do have the pass to fish it, figured i'd rather be safe and not have to worry about things. Anyway my dad works on outboard motors on the side, a guy was at there place last week having a water pump impeller put in. He was telling me about 2 or so years ago they caught some guys hauling 70-80 large mouth bass out of there to stock in another lake, that was around the time I last fished it which may be the reason I never done much good. Anyone that fishes there and does well, do you have any suggestions? What areas did you fish, what type of baits and colors did you use? Thanks..........Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sympsons Lake in Bardstown

By the way went bank fishing over at Sympsons for a little while this evening. Game Warden came by checking fishing license was telling us they shocked the lake last year and found a 18 pound Large Mouth. Seems kind of big for this area but I guess anything is possible. According to him there are several state records in that lake. Just thought I'd pass along the info

Post Thanks / Like

What golf course pond did you catch that hog out of in your profile photo?

Post Thanks / Like

It came out of Sunvalley Golf Course off Dixie Hwy. they put signs up and won't let people fish up there anymore which is a shame. Figured it would happen started seeing a lot of kids up there leaving trash and stuff, I'd always pick it all up anytime I'd see it. They ruined a good spot no doubt, ***** we can't fish there anymore

Post Thanks / Like

I lived within a quarter mile of it for 10 years and NEVER caught anything worth mentioning. A few small bluegills is about it. It has HEAVY pressure for sure. We had this convo on here last year..maybe 2 yrs ago and there was a guy on here who was nailing some 4-5 lb bass on just about every trip....better luck than I ever had for sure....but it was in Nov of all times.

Recently it has been added to FINS (I think that's the name) and the limits are severely restricted, not that people abide by them. Personally I think it's a waste lake for fishing although my uncle, who has fished it for 20+ yrs, swears it still holds good fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Well as of today(Saturday) I'm a believer. Me and a buddy of mine went over there for several hours I was throwing a black and blue pig in jig and nailed about a 4lb bass and one that went about 12 or so inches. It was a slow day but I finally pulled a nice one out of there. It was also confirmed by the Game Warden the other day they caught a guy awhile back taking a bunch of short bass to stock in another lake. Said the guy was caught twice, went to jail and had to pay over $600 in fines. I know it's a pressured lake but hell so is about every other good lake in this area. I'm gonna spend a lot of time over there this summer cause it's close to the house. With gas at almost $5 a gallon this summer I'll have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrankBaitKilla View Post
    By the way went bank fishing over at Sympsons for a little while this evening. Game Warden came by checking fishing license was telling us they shocked the lake last year and found a 18 pound Large Mouth. Seems kind of big for this area but I guess anything is possible. According to him there are several state records in that lake. Just thought I'd pass along the info
    My dad likes to fish it, I dont like it even though I have caught a few 6 plus out of there. Its tough going there. I throw a jig and fish as deep and as far away from the bank as I can, same way I fish taylorsville and I do pretty decent at Tville. I do not believe for one second there is a 18 lb Bass at Sympson . Maybe an or 9 but 18? No way.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree DC that's what I though when he said they found a 18lb large mouth I was thinking no way. He said there were several state records in there. Like I said this came start from the Game Wardens mouth but I still don't believe it. They cut down all those trees along the bank where the boat ramp is at and let them fall in the water. Seems to be a lot more cover in the water now then in years past

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said this came start from the Game Wardens mouth but I still don't believe it.
    Mike told you this himself? I gotta ask him about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what his name was. Wanna say the name on his uniform started with an S. He didn't say what his name was, just talked to us for a few and checked our fishing license

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what his name was. Wanna say the name on his uniform started with an S. He didn't say what his name was, just talked to us for a few and checked our fishing license
    Mike Stevenson....that's where the "S" came from.

Post Thanks / Like

If sympson is now a {fins} lake they should not be able to charge for a permit to fish it because as far as i know they dont require a permit to fish any other fins lakes. Can any body verify that its one of the {fins} lakes ???