Search Fishin.com

Thread: hook color

Post Thanks / Like

hook color

I need to replace some treble hooks mostly on top water baits but also on a couple of cranks. Does anyone think color makes a difference? I'm fine with the nickel finish, but looking at some red KVD triple grip. Any thoughts are apperciated....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hook color

Not a huge believer in the color but that is just my opinion. I do like the triple grip hooks. I know the fish do not seem to throw them as easily.

Post Thanks / Like

If you believe what they say they say the fish go after the red like the bleeding bait series of hooks...If that's the case put a red treble on the front and a different color on the back to make them go after the front of your bait

Post Thanks / Like

I've used red on the front hook and when I do catch a fish, they are on the front hook. Not sure if it's the red or not, but alot of my topwaters will have red hooks on the front.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much of a believer in hook color either. I do like a sharp hook and the sharpest trebles I have found were Excaliburs. I don't know if they still make them or not as I have not seen them lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I had some baits that came with excalibur trebles, they were called rotating trebles, and your right they were super sharp. Have not seen them in awhile either, so have gone with triple grip. Have never thought color made a difference, but putting a red one on the front makes sense to me...

Post Thanks / Like

I've tested the hook color theory in the creeks with tube jigs. One day I used jig heads with gold hooks for about an hour and caught 5 smallies then switched to a jig head with a red hook and caught 4 more the next hour. I came to the conclusion that color didn't really matter and have since just grabbed the closest one to my hand. Some guys will swear by the red hooks but in my experience I don't think it has an effect. It may be different with cranks though. I'll have to do another experiment next time a good crankbait bite is on.

Post Thanks / Like

Correlation vs. Causation

Post Thanks / Like

If red is the first color to disappear underwater as it's advertised to do then using a red hook seems pointless since it can't be seen anyway, especially in stained or deeper water. Larger than original hooks will change the balance and action of a bait so I don't go there either. When changing hooks we match the original hooks as closely as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    If red is the first color to disappear underwater as it's advertised to do then using a red hook seems pointless since it can't be seen anyway, especially in stained or deeper water. Larger than original hooks will change the balance and action of a bait so I don'tgo there either. When changing hooks we match the original hooks as closely as possible.
    Good points about stained water and deeper water, had'nt much thought about it. As far as hook size, this is what I do it works for me, if its a top water with a dressed rear treble I only change the front hook. I replace it with 1 size larger short shank and also replace the split ring with an oval ring I get from bps. On all other undressed hooks I replace the same as above.

Post Thanks / Like

Hook color makes no difference at all. In fact, 99% of the time, lure color makes no difference either. When it does, its typically hints of certain colors that help. The lure does not have to look just like the local bait to work. In fact, looking a little different can help.

Bass are head hunters and typically hit the head of a bait.

Red does not disappear underwater. You'll lose the red color and it will appear black at a shallow depth.

Andrew