Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Baitcaster Casting Problems

Decided to get my first baitcaster and I understand it takes a lot of practice to cast effectively. I have tried to practice as much as i can and when I cast over head it seems like my lure wants to nose dive without any arc. I feel like i can get a decent arc with a cast from a spinning reel. What could be making my lure dive so fast, improper technique, line spooled incorrectly, etc?? Also, when i cast underhanded or side arm it wants to shoot left every time even when im aimed right. If any one has a possible fix to my problem i would appreciate the feedback.
    Likes alicewfalls liked this post

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Baitcaster Casting Problems

Don't know what make model reel you have. But here's some generic thoughts.

1. Check the reel and see if you have a drum brake. The drum brake is there to adjust how much force it takes for the drum to free wheel line out.
    If that is too tight, then when you go to cast, the reel will be artificially "braking" or slowing down how fast the line will be let out. On an over head cast, that means a nose dive lure. On a side cast, when you are swinging your arm from right to left, again, the lure will go too far left.

2. With the reel set just like it is, put a heavy 2oz or 3 oz sinker on it and try to cast the same way you were. If with a heavy weight on it, your casting improves, then it is definitely the drum brake that is causing the problem.

3. I doubt it has anyhting to do with the line on wrong, hard to do that on a bait caster.
    Likes Bassky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have similar trouble with my new baitcaster setup. I've been casting like I've seen some of the pros do in videos on YouTube. Even though I've tried releasing the line at different points it seems that my practice plug always nosedives to the ground not too far away.

Post Thanks / Like

Try releasing the spool right before you feel that you have the rod vertical. My guess is that you are releasing too late, thereby effectively throwing your plug into the ground. Start out with slow and smooth motions, no need to cast 40 yards at first. Get comfortable making 20 yard casts, them you can put more power into them.

Post Thanks / Like

Basics. Turn the reel where the reel handle is up if you are right handed and using a reel with crank on right. Put a newspaper or any other piece of useless trash under your right bicep and cast with only your wrist and elbow not allowing usless trash to fall. Let it flow. do not cast with you shoulder. Keep practicing you can do it. My youngest was using one at 8 and I taugh my grandkids at 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Practice, practice, practice. It took me almost 6 months to get a baitcaster to work the way I wanted it to. I am STILL learning how to set them up for pitching jigs and texas rigged baits. Most versatile reel without a doubt. Also helps to have a high quality reel to start out with. Kinda sounds like you all may be trying to cast with too light a bait also. I find if I try to throw a shad rap on a baitcaster I cast it short too often. I find myself having to release the spool sooner to get a good arc on it. Also check your spool tension to make sure it is not too tight.

Post Thanks / Like

same thing i did. you are scared of backlashing and casting with not enough power combined with releasing too late.

Post Thanks / Like

The braking on a baitcaster is the most important thing to master. if you get it dialed in correctly, it is very hard to backlash even with out thumbing the spool. not for sure if you have tried it but using the cast control knob just make sure the lure barely falls. it might be too tight and not allowing the lure to go as far. also the weight of the lure you are throwing might have something to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat. Bought me 2 nice Johnny Morris reels and one is still in the box. The other has been used 5 times. I'm a nervous wreck casting the thing. With heavy lures I can do decent though. That's a question: is it impossible to use baitcasters for light lures or do you just really have to be experienced?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe its just me, but i have this same problem on other peoples short handled rigs. I have baitcasters with the long (maybe 2 handed) handles, which i can cast and flip like a semi-pro, when someone hands me a rod with just enough grip for one hand, something like u would see on a small spincaster, then my ability to cast with the attached baitcaster is demolished. Feels like the balance is off or something and my baits will shoot off like your talking about. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it just me?

Post Thanks / Like

Its all in the brakes guys. Adjust your centrifugal brakes as well as your tuning dial. Start with the brake and make sure all of your "pins" are pushed OUT. this is the maximum brake, make a few casts and then adjust by pushing the pins "IN" this will loosen the brake as you "turn off" some of the pins. Make sure when you adjust the brakes you always do them in pairs. whatever you do to one brake make sure you do the same to the one directly across from it as they do work together. But play around with this and I think you'll find you can tune in your baits and get it working right for you.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the key. There is a setting on the side of the reel (knob) that adjusts the tension of the reel when it's in free spool.

With the bait you are going to use to fish with on the line put your rod straight out and parallel with the water. Open the feel spool and watch the lure to see how fast or slow it falls. Adjust the tension on the knob so that the lure just barley falls downwards. If it goes down too fast tighter up the knob and if the lure falls too slow loosen up the knob tension.

This is the first step for each and every bait you fish with. Do this every time you change baits on the line. Different baits weight different.

Now I would also adjust the centrifugal brakes on your reel if you have that type of reel. Then adjust the magnetic braking system to your liking.

Those three things are on most all the newer Ambassador and Shimano or Quantam bait casting reels. Plueger and the other high end bait casting reels should have these as well.

Read the manual for your reel and see what they suggest as far as maintence and adjusting the reel for fishing different type or weight of lure.

Then practice in the yard often. They sell small rubber practice lures that you can tie onto the line and practice with inside the house. Practice pitching the lure into a waste basket or an old tire out in the yard. Practice makes perfect.

When you maintain your reel remember that these new reels have very close tollerances and all it takes is too much oil to slow them down. When oiling these reels just apply a drop of oil to the end of a cotton Q tip and squeese out the excess oil before touching the Q tip to the reel's parts that need to be oil. Less is more in this case especially with the Shimano Curado type reels. Clean the reel with dry Q tips to get the dust out and if necessary apply some rubbing alcohol to a Q tip and squeeze out any excess and then use that to clean the reel's parts where applicable.

There are some good U Tube videos about cleaning the Shimao Reels. These are made by the Shimano Factory people and posted on U tube.

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    The braking on a baitcaster is the most important thing to master. if you get it dialed in correctly, it is very hard to backlash even with out thumbing the spool. not for sure if you have tried it but using the cast control knob just make sure the lure barely falls. it might be too tight and not allowing the lure to go as far. also the weight of the lure you are throwing might have something to do with it.