Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Numbers and decals placement on boat

OK tomorrow I plan on cutting out and making the numbers required on the sides of the boat. I know it is probably a silly question but other that they be at least 3" in height, I didn't see any specifics in the KY guide. How close to the top edge of, and how close to the front of the boat do most of you place them?

Thanks in advance your your time.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Re: Numbers and decals placement on boat

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/2012fishguideboatingindex.pdf

This link gives you the reg and general guidelines.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/album.php?albumid=252
    The second link shows an example of where I put them on current and prior boat.

Rule of thumb. Get them up close to the rub rail because you'll be protecting the numbers when you dock from rub offs.

Hope it helps. Party on Garth.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm curious about this too... i bought a boat from a guy in fl. and it has the FL instead of KY... do i need to get this changed? is there any way to change it? and i'm assuming its not hurting anything b/c i've had the boat for a few years now but i'm just curious....

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post

This link gives you the reg and general guidelines.

http://www.fishin.com/forums2/album.php?albumid=252
    The second link shows an example of where I put them on current and prior boat.

Rule of thumb. Get them up close to the rub rail because you'll be protecting the numbers when you dock from rub offs.

Hope it helps. Party on Garth.
    Thanks so much for the advice and pictures. That really helps! I was guessing much lower then that, I didn't even think about the rub factor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shakey head View Post
    i'm curious about this too... i bought a boat from a guy in fl. and it has the FL instead of KY... do i need to get this changed? is there any way to change it? and i'm assuming its not hurting anything b/c i've had the boat for a few years now but i'm just curious....

thanks
    I would call my County Clerk as soon as possible. Is not worth the risk of getting a ticket.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

thanks
    As said by another member, get it registered. Reg is below for reference. Cheaper to pay a KY registration, then to pay a ticket, and then registration too.

Something else to think about, your insurance policy states where boat is principally operated, so be sure that's in synch with the registration. Just to be safe.

REGISTRATION
    (301 KAR 6:001, 6:010)
    All mechanically powered vessels
    used primarily in this state must have a
    Kentucky registration. Boats are registered
    at the county clerk’s office. Persons
    may register in the county of their residence
    or the county of principal use. Boat registrations expire April 30 each year.
    Boats registered in other states may
    be used for up to 60 consecutive days in
    Kentucky without registering here.
    All boats operated in Kentucky
    must have the registration certificate
    on board.

Post Thanks / Like

i pay the registration and taxes every year... and i told the lady when i transferred it in to my name that it was from florida and she didn't say anything about changing the letters on the side of the boat... but i dont guess it will hurt to call the county clerk and ask
    thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of related question. Is it like with a car, are you required to carry your boat registration with you?

Post Thanks / Like

i pay the registration and taxes every year... and i told the lady when i transferred it in to my name that it was from florida and she didn't say anything about changing the letters on the side of the boat... but i dont guess it will hurt to call the county clerk and ask
    thanks!

I bought my boat out of state. When I registered it and applied for a new title at the courthouse they gave me my stickers and what numbers I needed right then. Seems odd you could register it without getting them issued. Did you get a title in your name? I would definitely call and check on it.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

thanks!
    Look at your registration renewal notice. It should show you the registration number KY assigned to your boat, or is registering it under.

In Hardin county as an example, they tell you what the number should be, then you have to go buy your own letters. All they give you is the yearly registration sticker, the square colored one.

Yes, do carry a copy of your registration in your boat, it's required. I carry a copy, and leave the original safe at home where it won't get wet or end up smelling like nightcrawlers.

Post Thanks / Like

It has been one of those weeks, but today I finally had the time to make and cut my decals. So I am reading the instructions and I have what I know is probably another dumb question.

When it says this:

Registration decals are to be placed withing six inches behind (aft) and in line with the registration number.
    I am assuming this is not specifying a specific placement on the boat, but instead only means that the sticker must be withing six inches behind where I place the numbers, correct?

I can't find any instructions that specify how far towards the front the numbers should be, so I assume anywhere is fine as long as visible, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    It has been one of those weeks, but today I finally had the time to make and cut my decals. So I am reading the instructions and I have what I know is probably another dumb question.

When it says this:

I am assuming this is not specifying a specific placement on the boat, but instead only means that the sticker must be withing six inches behind where I place the numbers, correct?

I can't find any instructions that specify how far towards the front the numbers should be, so I assume anywhere is fine as long as visible, correct?
    They have to be on the forward half of the hull.