Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

College Basketball RANT

I am so sick and tired of hearing about the "One and Done" Crap. The Sports Reporters are on ESPN and there is this one fella griping about Calipari getting all of these One and Done kids. "Get a kid, gone after a year, get a kid, gone after a year", was his words. He says it is the UNIVERSITY of Kentucky and they are there to get a degree. He said they are not there to be a Pro Basketball Prep School. This is a bunch of garbage. How many of the top programs in College Basketball have had One and Done kids? The answer is ALL OF THEM!!! How many schools have won a National Title or made it to the National Title game WITHOUT any NBA players? NONE. Even Butler had 2 NBA players on each of its Final Four teams the last couple of years. Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Ohio State, Syracuse, UCONN and all the rest of the top programs in basketball have had their share of one and done kids. How many schools in Division 1 Basketball do you think had a scholarship ready for Anthony Davis, if he chose that school? ALL OF THEM. Even if Anthony said, "I am only playing 1 year then going pro", they ALL still would have given him the scholarship to play ball.

Are people mad at Calipari because he gets One and Doners or the fact that he gets so many on the same team? Personally, I think it is the fact that he gets the best of the best at so many different positions. I would think ALL other schools would love to see so many One and Doners at UK because can you imagine if Calipari got the same level of talent and they stayed all 4 years? Imagine this team, Juniors - John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Daniel Orton, Sophomors - Brandon Knight, Deron Lamb, Terrance Jones, Freshman - Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marcus Teague, Kyle Wiltjer. Yes I understand that some of these players would not have come to Kentucky if another guy was still on the team. But just imagine if Calipari was to get the same level of talent every year and they stayed 4 years at how many banners would be hung in Rupp Arena.

The NBA Rule is that a kid must be 1 year removed from High School before he can enter the NBA Draft. This is not Calipari's rule, it is the NBA Rule. Calipari has said over and over again that he does not like the rule and it needs to be changed. Every College Coach in America hopes and wishes to sign players of the caliber of Davis, MKG, Wall, Cousins and such. Every College Coach in America is our recruiting such players and they know if they get a couple of them, their team will be in the spotlight competing for Conference and National Titles. Which in turn gives the program exposure so that the next wave of NBA want to be players will come to their program and on and on and on. The One and Done rule is a BAD rule. Kids who have graduated from High School should have the option of going straight into the NBA Draft or going to College. But if he goes to College he should be made to stay a minimum of 2 or 3 years. This will help the kids get a 2-3 year jump on their degree plus help them obtain some maturity before going to the NBA. A perfect example of this is DeMarcus Cousins. Cousins was ready for the NBA physically but he was and still is very immature and needs to grow up. But when Cousins has been THE MAN in high school and I bet had stuff handed to him on a silver platter, then only gets one year of College where he showed his immaturity, he needed more.

Are people mad that Calipari recruits and gets the best talent in America year in and year out? As much money and as competitive as Big Time College Athletics are, each and every coach in America are trying to recruit the best players possible. The best players possible in each position are all quality players with NBA skills. The fact that Calipari gets so many of these players is a testament to his recruiting skills. The fact that Calipari can mold and gel his teams to play together unselfishly as well has play defense is a testament to his coaching ability. The Rule about Kids being able to play a year then turning pro, is not his fault. If people don't like it when Kentucky is consistently in the top 5 with a chance to win it all every year, then too bad. Change the rule makes better sense than beating on Calipari for playing by the rule and recruiting accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: College Basketball RANT

Quote Originally Posted by Netboy Extraordinaire View Post
    I am so sick and tired of hearing about the "One and Done" Crap. The Sports Reporters are on ESPN and there is this one fella griping about Calipari getting all of these One and Done kids. "Get a kid, gone after a year, get a kid, gone after a year", was his words. He says it is the UNIVERSITY of Kentucky and they are there to get a degree. He said they are not there to be a Pro Basketball Prep School. This is a bunch of garbage. How many of the top programs in College Basketball have had One and Done kids? The answer is ALL OF THEM!!! How many schools have won a National Title or made it to the National Title game WITHOUT any NBA players? NONE. Even Butler had 2 NBA players on each of its Final Four teams the last couple of years. Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Ohio State, Syracuse, UCONN and all the rest of the top programs in basketball have had their share of one and done kids. How many schools in Division 1 Basketball do you think had a scholarship ready for Anthony Davis, if he chose that school? ALL OF THEM. Even if Anthony said, "I am only playing 1 year then going pro", they ALL still would have given him the scholarship to play ball.

Are people mad at Calipari because he gets One and Doners or the fact that he gets so many on the same team? Personally, I think it is the fact that he gets the best of the best at so many different positions. I would think ALL other schools would love to see so many One and Doners at UK because can you imagine if Calipari got the same level of talent and they stayed all 4 years? Imagine this team, Juniors - John Wall, Demarcus Cousins, Eric Bledsoe, Daniel Orton, Sophomors - Brandon Knight, Deron Lamb, Terrance Jones, Freshman - Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marcus Teague, Kyle Wiltjer. Yes I understand that some of these players would not have come to Kentucky if another guy was still on the team. But just imagine if Calipari was to get the same level of talent every year and they stayed 4 years at how many banners would be hung in Rupp Arena.

The NBA Rule is that a kid must be 1 year removed from High School before he can enter the NBA Draft. This is not Calipari's rule, it is the NBA Rule. Calipari has said over and over again that he does not like the rule and it needs to be changed. Every College Coach in America hopes and wishes to sign players of the caliber of Davis, MKG, Wall, Cousins and such. Every College Coach in America is our recruiting such players and they know if they get a couple of them, their team will be in the spotlight competing for Conference and National Titles. Which in turn gives the program exposure so that the next wave of NBA want to be players will come to their program and on and on and on. The One and Done rule is a BAD rule. Kids who have graduated from High School should have the option of going straight into the NBA Draft or going to College. But if he goes to College he should be made to stay a minimum of 2 or 3 years. This will help the kids get a 2-3 year jump on their degree plus help them obtain some maturity before going to the NBA. A perfect example of this is DeMarcus Cousins. Cousins was ready for the NBA physically but he was and still is very immature and needs to grow up. But when Cousins has been THE MAN in high school and I bet had stuff handed to him on a silver platter, then only gets one year of College where he showed his immaturity, he needed more.

Are people mad that Calipari recruits and gets the best talent in America year in and year out? As much money and as competitive as Big Time College Athletics are, each and every coach in America are trying to recruit the best players possible. The best players possible in each position are all quality players with NBA skills. The fact that Calipari gets so many of these players is a testament to his recruiting skills. The fact that Calipari can mold and gel his teams to play together unselfishly as well has play defense is a testament to his coaching ability. The Rule about Kids being able to play a year then turning pro, is not his fault. If people don't like it when Kentucky is consistently in the top 5 with a chance to win it all every year, then too bad. Change the rule makes better sense than beating on Calipari for playing by the rule and recruiting accordingly.
    I thought I could really John-Boy-Walton out some posts sometimes....but you are the Rant-Boy-Extraordinaire....LOL

Post Thanks / Like

You are not a KY Wildcat fan, you are a fanatic. There is a big difference in the two. Also you are just a Wildcat basketball fanatic because you have made it clear on several ocassions that you don't like the football program because you all can't win I guess. I am a Cards fan and I never once have said I am a Pitino fan. I don't try to get in a pissing match with everyone on here that says something I don't agree with wether it be sports or political related or just anything I don't agree with I have better things to do with my like than to be a computer comando. I understand your passion for the Cats and Cal but you don't have to type your lust for them all the time or yoou are gonna get people sick and tired of hearing your one closed minded opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigrod View Post
    You are not a KY Wildcat fan, you are a fanatic. There is a big difference in the two. Also you are just a Wildcat basketball fanatic because you have made it clear on several ocassions that you don't like the football program because you all can't win I guess. I am a Cards fan and I never once have said I am a Pitino fan. I don't try to get in a pissing match with everyone on here that says something I don't agree with wether it be sports or political related or just anything I don't agree with I have better things to do with my like than to be a computer comando. I understand your passion for the Cats and Cal but you don't have to type your lust for them all the time or yoou are gonna get people sick and tired of hearing your one closed minded opinions.

Fan is short for Fanatic, FYI. I am not a Kentucky Football Fanatic because I did not grow up with it as a child, winning has nothing to do with it. My family is from Eastern Ky and when Tobacco Stripping time, firewood cutting time or whatever winter work that was to be done and UK was playing then Caywood was blaring from the speakers. For 44 years I have followed UK Basketball, good years, bad years and all in between. From Joe B to Drunken Eddie to Ricky P to Tubby to Drunken Billy to Cal, probation or not, I supported Kentucky Basketball. Fair weathered fan I am not and as far as my closed minded opinions go, there is a function on the site that will allow you to "ignore" all of my post. If you don't want to read what I post then I suggest you figure out how to use that function and ignore me. A Keyboard Commando is the farthest thing from the truth. Everything I say here I will say to someone's face and back it up. Unlike my 2 biggest rivals on this sight that continue to post unsupported lies about Kentucky, I have no problem backing up what I say. Again, if you don't like reading what I type then don't read it. But if you do read it and attack me personally like you did in the post that a moderator obviously deleted then be prepared to be attacked personally in return. I don't back down, not today, not yesterday and not tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigrod View Post
    YEP

Post Thanks / Like

Why should everyone have to hit the ignore button?
    Can we instead hit a button requesting you to be put on hand raising status?

Enough is enough!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Netboy Extraordinaire View Post
    How many of the top programs in College Basketball have had One and Done kids? The answer is ALL OF THEM!!!

The NBA Rule is that a kid must be 1 year removed from High School before he can enter the NBA Draft. This is not Calipari's rule, it is the NBA
    Whether one school or all schools do one and doner's consistantly...or whether they have done it in the past, it still doesn't make it right in my opinion. Despite what a physical freak of nature any kid may be at the age of 19 or 20...in my opinion they're not mentally ready for the world.

I think the NBA rule is stupid...one year removed from high school, hogwash!...NBA is money hungry like any other entity in America. All these kids getting sleeves full of ink before they're even twenty, like they don't have to worry about a thing in life except for getting rebounds...all that could dissappear for any of them in the blink of an eye...next thing you know they're wearing cheap polyester suits trying to sell used cars because all they ever knew how to do is get the rebound.

On the flip side...this is America, home of the brave, home of the free...at 18 you can go to war, so why not play in the NBA for millions? I guess because I think it ain't right, and this is my opinion on the subject. Then others will argue a young man could get hurt in college ball and NEVER see a million dollar contract...this is true...but at least if it he didn't have the blinders on and was so hell bent on the NBA instead of a true degree, then perhaps not getting tha big contract might not be such a big deal? I don't know...

Post Thanks / Like

I have never attacked you personally, what I have done is say a prayer or several for you in the past for you and your families well being. Not sure who or what you are referring to, you must have me confused with someone else.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm convinced it's jealousy. I have heard and watched "experts", Cal and fans talk about it and it comes down to wanting what cal and UK have.
    I'm a college basketball fan 100% and if Cal can keep getting these players within the rules then it means he is better than the other recruiters, has better contacts and having UK history is the icing on the cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Netboy, I am being honest. I am a UL fan and if they were as good as UK I will be the 1st to tell you I would be rubbing it in also as all the others would. I am not jealous of UK I just wish UL would get rick out. It was a slap in a cardinal fans face to hire him in the 1st place. We dont need a UK has been as a coach! JMO

Post Thanks / Like

That's not personal it's figurative. Once again I never said I was a Pitino fan so your comment is futile. I'm done arguing I feel myself stooping down to Ia level I'm not comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    Hey Netboy, I am being honest. I am a UL fan and if they were as good as UK I will be the 1st to tell you I would be rubbing it in also as all the others would. I am not jealous of UK I just wish UL would get rick out. It was a slap in a cardinal fans face to hire him in the 1st place. We dont need a UK has been as a coach! JMO

An honest U of L fan that calls it like he sees it. You get Rick out and I have no problem rooting for Louisville except when they play UK.