Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run crappie?

Has anybody been catching any crappie and is the lake still muddy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cave Run crappie?

Quote Originally Posted by Hlleonard View Post
    Has anybody been catching any crappie and is the lake still muddy?
    Fished crappie last weekend, water 62 degrees, main lake murky, caught lots of crappie in creek channel on wood in 14 to 12 feet of water, crappie were from 3 to 6 ft. deep. kept 12 fish over 10 inches, we had 4 fish 14-15 inches. All but one of the ones we kept were black crappie, most of the smaller fish we threw back were whites. There is no size limit there, we just prefer to keep 10s or bigger. The bigger ones came on minnows , too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paddywacker View Post
    Fished crappie last weekend, water 62 degrees, main lake murky, caught lots of crappie in creek channel on wood in 14 to 12 feet of water, crappie were from 3 to 6 ft. deep. kept 12 fish over 10 inches, we had 4 fish 14-15 inches. All but one of the ones we kept were black crappie, most of the smaller fish we threw back were whites. There is no size limit there, we just prefer to keep 10s or bigger. The bigger ones came on minnows , too.
    --
    Thanks....was thinking about heading up that way maybe next week and had heard it was still muddy, I try to keep the bigger fish also but sometimes if I want a mess of fish I just hafta' settle for whatever I can catch...lol...

Post Thanks / Like

Fished on Thursday, kept 8 (from 11" to 14") Released 7 under 10"/ All fish came off of lay downs in small pockets. Lake is low so lay downs were hard to find. No luck fishing stick ups. Most on minnows at 5Ft. in 9 to 10FT slightly stained water. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monarc View Post
    Fished on Thursday, kept 8 (from 11" to 14") Released 7 under 10"/ All fish came off of lay downs in small pockets. Lake is low so lay downs were hard to find. No luck fishing stick ups. Most on minnows at 5Ft. in 9 to 10FT slightly stained water. Hope this helps
    --
    I made it to cave run today and had a pretty good day... caught 30 crappie or so and had several in the 10 to 12 inch range and one 16 inches... never caught a fish shallow, all were 10 to 15 feet deep in standing timber.

Post Thanks / Like

were you on main lake? and did fish still have eggs in them?(assuming you kept and cleaned!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paddywacker View Post
    were you on main lake? and did fish still have eggs in them?(assuming you kept and cleaned!)
    --
    I fished the main lake and I did bring some back but haven't cleaned them as of yet, I usually store them in an old fridge over night, makes them easier to clean the following day.