Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Topwater Technique?

What is the correct way to fish a topwater lure like an Arbogast Hula Popper or a Strike King Spit-N-King? Do you retrieve at a constant rate? Or should you add some random motion to it when retrieving? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topwater Technique?

The answer is "yes".

Or, put another way, try all of the above. When I fish poppers I usually do a jerk/wait/jerk/jerk/wait/wait/jerk/jerk/jerk/wait/wait/wait sort of thing. If that doesn't work, then I will try it constant fast. If that doesn't work, constant slow. If that doesn't work, I tie on a jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    The answer is "yes".

Or, put another way, try all of the above. When I fish poppers I usually do a jerk/wait/jerk/jerk/wait/wait/jerk/jerk/jerk/wait/wait/wait sort of thing. If that doesn't work, then I will try it constant fast. If that doesn't work, constant slow. If that doesn't work, I tie on a jig.
    Hah, thanks for the help. I was at the small lake at Scott County Park last evening and there was just so much moss/algae near the bank that I got fed up and tied on a topwater--only to realize that I didn't really know how to use it. I didn't know if it did something special retrieving slow or retrieving fast. So I tried both as well as the jerk/wait method. No luck though.

Post Thanks / Like

Mix it up some. Add a pause in the retrieve from time to time too. They'll often get nailed right after the plug starts moving again. A lot of moss and other surface debris, you might try a zoom horny toad. Texas rig, no weight, point of the hook barely in the back of the toad. Just about weedless. Steady retrieve with some rod tip action to get the legs kicking.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Threw a hula popper out decided I was hungry and ate a sandwich. After about five minutes noticed it was gone and the line was moving. Result was a 2lb largemouth. So my guess is any time length you choose could be right.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, vary your retrieve and see what works. It will be different on different days. Pay attention to the retireve that catches the first fish and try to duplicate it.