Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dix river headwaters at Herrington Dam

I have never fished this area and was wanting to do so soon. Has anyone fished this from a jon boat or kayak and if so where is the best spot to put in and take out? I'll be in a kayak btw? I heard some good fishing is in this area and would love to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dix river headwaters at Herrington Dam

Fished it many times. Put in at highbridge ramp. It's steep but being in a Yak you will be fine. Bass fishing isn't great but you could find a few fish on cranks and soft plastics. Be aware that after a certain spot you cannot have any bait with you such as worms or minnows. Matter of fact you prolly should read up on that to be sure of exactly what it says. The restrictions are due to that area being a trophy Brown trout area.

My best fishing has been for trout and anything that will bite above the riffles toward the dam. Even caught a Hybrid up there before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Fished it many times. Put in at highbridge ramp. It's steep but being in a Yak you will be fine. Bass fishing isn't great but you could find a few fish on cranks and soft plastics. Be aware that after a certain spot you cannot have any bait with you such as worms or minnows. Matter of fact you prolly should read up on that to be sure of exactly what it says. The restrictions are due to that area being a trophy Brown trout area.

My best fishing has been for trout and anything that will bite above the riffles toward the dam. Even caught a Hybrid up there before.
    So how long of a paddle do you think it is up to the dam from High bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a long paddle. Took me over an hour a few years back in a kayak.

Post Thanks / Like

The paddle is about an hour.

Post Thanks / Like

Headed up Dix river to the dam tomorrow. Looking for some brown trout and hybrids or sauger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YakNinja View Post
    Headed up Dix river to the dam tomorrow. Looking for some brown trout and hybrids or sauger.
    Good luck! My best bass fishing was around the area where you see the sign that mentions not allowing bait from that point to the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Good luck! My best bass fishing was around the area where you see the sign that mentions not allowing bait from that point to the dam.

Well I didn't catch any browns but did catch a few bass. I paddled from High bridge to the dam. Took me about 1 hr 30 minutes maybe longer to get up there from the ramp. Now tonight I can barely move my arms . From the first riffle to the dam was a waste of time. No water movement and it stunk from all the algae. Got up to the dam and read the sign about 2 minutes after alarm for a discharge of water. Kinda got spooked up there when the dam started releasing water without an alarm. Anyway was a nice day to be on the water in my yak. Its absolutely some beautiful scenery up there with all the cliffs and bluffs. I may have to try it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YakNinja View Post
    Well I didn't catch any browns but did catch a few bass. I paddled from High bridge to the dam. Took me about 1 hr 30 minutes maybe longer to get up there from the ramp. Now tonight I can barely move my arms . From the first riffle to the dam was a waste of time. No water movement and it stunk from all the algae. Got up to the dam and read the sign about 2 minutes after alarm for a discharge of water. Kinda got spooked up there when the dam started releasing water without an alarm. Anyway was a nice day to be on the water in my yak. Its absolutely some beautiful scenery up there with all the cliffs and bluffs. I may have to try it again.
    Your right that's some awesome scenery. I have not caught any browns up there but have caught many rainbows especially in the riffles area. Glad you got to see it.