Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Riots

Post Thanks / Like

UK Riots

Well any hope we may have had that the lunatic UK student riots would quietly fade away were dashed just now. Lead story on Drudge Report.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: UK Riots

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    Well any hope we may have had that the lunatic UK student riots would quietly fade away were dashed just now. Lead story on Drudge Report.
    I don't consider them basketball fans....I consider then criminals...put them in jail..

Post Thanks / Like

Sad part is they're at every school and from all walks of life. The main problem is booze booze and more booze. I drink a little like most of us do but these kids prolly had to much and when you mix booze and immaturity you get bonehead actions.
    I would prosecute anyone found doing these things if it was my choice.

Post Thanks / Like

This is not a UK fan/student problem or anything else. This crap has been going on for years, it started with the pros best I can remember.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope there's a significant enough show of force to prevent more bad PR for UK after Monday's game.

Post Thanks / Like

Act like you've been there before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bplgocards View Post
    Act like you've been there before.
    The problem I see with any team or fans that try to speak for the masses or have an idea of what the fan base does or should do is that they don't really know, do they?
    Times change, people change and society dictates what is going to be acceptable and from the looks of the things that are deemed acceptable anymore things are going in the toilet fast. Times change and thats why folks say....well I remember when....

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately alcohol is not always to blame. There are some people who just take advantage of a situation to get their "kicks" by destroying or vandalizing someone else's property. Poor parenting, genetics, nurture vs. nature.....who knows. Sadly, this seems to be a growing trend. Just Search "sports riots" and you will be amazed....or.....appalled.

Here is just one: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&sportCat=nhl

I did find this extremely interesting and maybe it is more a statement on the human condition than we would like to admit. The intersting info really starts under the heading "Fan Violence". For the record I always thought Dave Winfield to be a classy stand-up person/athelete: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_in_sports

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    The problem I see with any team or fans that try to speak for the masses or have an idea of what the fan base does or should do is that they don't really know, do they?
    Times change, people change and society dictates what is going to be acceptable and from the looks of the things that are deemed acceptable anymore things are going in the toilet fast. Times change and thats why folks say....well I remember when....
    I'm not sure how new any of this is (see above).

As for the players, I would say that the NFL and MLB are actually less violent than they used to be. Ty Cobb used to sharpen his spikes and slide feet up in the air. Not too long ago, MLB pitchers believed they owned the inside part of the plate and as long as they didn't kill anyone hitters who crowded the plate were fair game. And we've all heard the stories about legal clotheslines in the NFL and what used to happen in dogpiles.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand how any sane person would allow themselves to get caught up in that kind of frenzy. What do they hope to accomplish from such sub-human behavior? Do the go around patting themselves on the back the next day after they've had time to think about it?

Post Thanks / Like

Judging from the Twitter feeds I've seen from college kids I know: yes they do, and they are bragging about how they are going to do the same tonight despite the Po-Po.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    I'm not sure how new any of this is (see above).

As for the players, I would say that the NFL and MLB are actually less violent than they used to be. Ty Cobb used to sharpen his spikes and slide feet up in the air. Not too long ago, MLB pitchers believed they owned the inside part of the plate and as long as they didn't kill anyone hitters who crowded the plate were fair game. And we've all heard the stories about legal clotheslines in the NFL and what used to happen in dogpiles.
    No doubt riots are nothing new neither is drinking by college kids and having fun. What I'm saying is that on this board and listening to lifelong UK fans and generations of UK fans talk in person and on the radio about UK like it's something more special than other programs. IMO it's not. They have the wins and history and noone can dispute that but what it comes down to is that was how it used to be. Today is different. I'm sure the old school fans are having a tough time with these (few) fans ramping up the crowds and getting destructive but thats how alot of these schools are now. Especially when the media has hyped this game against UL and UK for a week. We had men in a dialysis clinic fighting for goodness sake!!

Heck look at what happened on here!! We had a handul of folks going at eachother to the point of people getting personal and mean. Can you imagine if they were at a party drinking and getting that fired up over a basketball program? Geez...

So take that fire and spirit and put it in college kids from all walks of life and toss in booze, testosterone and tough guy attitude and your ready for something to happen. Get a rivalry game like UL and UK and toss in Pitino's history at UK and the feeling of being screwed by Pitino and now Calipari who looks to be about to erase that feeling of Pitino and you make a bomb. Let the cats win and Pitino's legacy at UK will be overshadowed by Calipari. All this (and more) made what happened Saturday night easy to understand. If they win or lose tonight I don't see things being as bad around here because it's not Pitino and UL and the police are cracking down and I'm sure the college has spoken to many folks already. JMO