Search Fishin.com

Thread: Mounting Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Mounting Fish

So I managed to catch myself a really nice bass today. It was just my 2nd 5 lber and 5 lb 4 oz to be exact. When it comes to bass I am a catch and release kind of guy, like many people have said, if im going to eat fish there are crappie and bluegill. I actually take pride in releasing fish and I feel good about doing it.

However, if I catch what I consider to be a trophy fish I am going to mount it. At the same time I hate taking such a beautiful fish from the lake as I would rather let em' get bigger and let someone else catch them. I have heard that you can get your fish dimensions and all the specs and just release your fish. Does anyone have information on this type of taxidermy and is there anyone in Louisville who does this type of work? Any information would be great.

Unfortunately this bass made a trip to Clearwater Taxidermy. Hopefully future bass will be more fortunate!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mounting Fish

im waiting for something in the 9's. done released several 6's and 7's.

Post Thanks / Like

As expensive as i would think fish mounting would be these days i think ill have to wait until i catch a ten pounder.

Post Thanks / Like

Has to be over 10 lbs to hang on my wall. Even then, after a couple of measurements and pictures that same fish will be put back in the water. Not taking anything away from your 5 lb'er, it's a nice fish for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

same for me too 10#er or state record. already released lm over 8 and sm over 5 &1/2 no big spots yet though.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Google and search "replica fish taxidermy louisville ky". Or whatever location/town you're near. Plenty of taxidermists that will create replicas based on the measurements. May want to give one of them a call for specific measurments needed depending on the species. $$$ is another issue? Keep up the C&R. Always willing to help out a fellow angler that practices C&R!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by air1lch View Post
    Go to Google and search "replica fish taxidermy louisville ky". Or whatever location/town you're near. Plenty of taxidermists that will create replicas based on the measurements. May want to give one of them a call for specific measurments needed depending on the species. $$$ is another issue? Keep up the C&R. Always willing to help out a fellow angler that practices C&R!!
    I wont deny that replicas are nice and i would think that a replica could be made to look much better than something made out of a actual real fish. But with a replica a person couldnt have the satisfaction of reaching up there and saying "Wow i am now actually touching the very same fish that i actually caught".

And im curious about something. With a replica i would think that unless you banged it around or dropped it on the floor you would basicly have what you got and thats it. But with a mounted fish being made of a real fish wouldnt heat and humidity and sunlight coming into the room cause it to get "old looking" sooner or later?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a replica made of a 5.5lb 32.5inch creek SM done.I have 3 older mounts of fish & like the replica the best.My oldest mount is from 1995.I all so have a LM that was just 5lbs but its not all about size but the story behind the catch.The replica was made from just 1 life size picture here in Ky.
    River Basser
    Terry Adolph

Post Thanks / Like

Clearwater has done some beautiful replicas that are hand painted just like their skin mounts. I would Always consider a replica.

Post Thanks / Like

i carry a piece of wax paper and a permanent magic marker in the boat. when you catch a biggun put it in the livewell immediately, get the wax paper out and lay it flat and get the magic marker ready and the camera ready and position the boat so the sun is at the optimum angle to capture the truest colors of the fish.
    take the fish out of the livewell and let it "drip dry" for a few seconds, lay the fish on the wax paper and draw the outline of the fish with the magic marker. take several quick pics and return the fish to the livewell immediately. inspect the pics to make sure they represent the fish's colors, if you are satisfied with the pics you can return the fish to the water having done all of the above mentioned without the fish being out of the water for very long at all.
    you now have the length and the height of the fish from the back to the belly that a taxidermist can use to determine the girth of the fish as well as quality color photos for him/her to reproduce the fishs colors.
    i recently had a smallmouth replica made doing this ad it was amazing. my daughter has a trophy piece of waxpaper at the taxidermists right now.

congrats on your catch by the way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stripernut View Post
    i carry a piece of wax paper and a permanent magic marker in the boat. when you catch a biggun put it in the livewell immediately, get the wax paper out and lay it flat and get the magic marker ready and the camera ready and position the boat so the sun is at the optimum angle to capture the truest colors of the fish.
    take the fish out of the livewell and let it "drip dry" for a few seconds, lay the fish on the wax paper and draw the outline of the fish with the magic marker. take several quick pics and return the fish to the livewell immediately. inspect the pics to make sure they represent the fish's colors, if you are satisfied with the pics you can return the fish to the water having done all of the above mentioned without the fish being out of the water for very long at all.
    you now have the length and the height of the fish from the back to the belly that a taxidermist can use to determine the girth of the fish as well as quality color photos for him/her to reproduce the fishs colors.
    i recently had a smallmouth replica made doing this ad it was amazing. my daughter has a trophy piece of waxpaper at the taxidermists right now.

congrats on your catch by the way

Thanks for that bit of info. I know the livewell on my boat is very good and I had that bass in there for about 2 hours thinking very hard about weather or not to keep it. I ended up keeping it. If you dont mind me asking where do you take or send your trophy wax paper? Thanks again!!