Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$4.00 gas changing your plans?

I see where some folks are not going to Dale Hollow,etc due to gas prices. Will you be changing your fishing plans this summer?

As you all know, I'm retired with limited income but the heck with these gas prices. I generally travel with a friend or two on longer trips and the gas is split.

It did get my attention the other day when I added 10 gallons of fuel to my boat. ****, $40.00 dollars right quick and that came no where near filling the tank.

I still have plans for a Barkley trip at the end of this month and then a Minnesota trip in June,again dividing the fuel expenses. The lodging at Barkley is divided between about 8 of us and my costs for the week are usually about $200.00 to $250.00

The Minnesota trip is really cheap as we have a friend that has a lake house up there so no money spent on lodging. Just food and the license and I've got to eat anyway so I don't count food as an extra expense. This trip is again in the $200.00 to $250.00 range for all expenses.

In conclusion, yes I'm aware of the extra money spent on fuel,but I'll be damned if I just sit home and not enjoy retirement.

LET'S GO FISHING!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $4.00 gas changing your plans?

I backed out of our trip to Maine for smallmouth fishing this year due in part to the cost of fuel. We spent about $1200 in gas last year and once you add in food, beer and tackle it adds up even more. We split the cost but gas is more expensive now than last year so I'm doing more local stuff and using the yak more.

Post Thanks / Like

On Saturday, I put a half tank of gas in the truck and filled up the boat...total was right at $200 - I can't do that too many times in a month.

I'll stay local as much as possible this year, reduce the number of tournaments I fish, and focus more on catching fish for the freezer. Catching fish for the freezer means less running up and down the lake, and more time on anchor drowning minnows.

I've also got a baby due next week, so I guess it's a good year for me to cut back anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    On Saturday, I put a half tank of gas in the truck and filled up the boat...total was right at $200 - I can't do that too many times in a month.

I'll stay local as much as possible this year, reduce the number of tournaments I fish, and focus more on catching fish for the freezer. Catching fish for the freezer means less running up and down the lake, and more time on anchor drowning minnows.

I've also got a baby due next week, so I guess it's a good year for me to cut back anyways.
    Congrats on the new one, between my new one and the price of gas I've cut way back to.I'd have to say my new one has takin more time out of fishing than the price of gas....but it's allgood nothin like that smile I get in the morning and you no it's not gas. Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    We spent about $1200 in gas last year and once you add in food, beer and tackle it adds up even more.
    I remember "back in the day"....the most expensive part of the fishing trip was the beer...for a two night/two day trip me and my buddy would take five cases, one case for each of us per day, plus we wanted to make sure we wouldn't run out, you know, just in case the beer went down REALLY good, lol...We were both pretty good sized fella's...I'm 6'2", 250+ and he's the same...by the time me and him got in the 16 jonboat we had along with our large metal coleman cooler in the middle there was only a couple of inches of the boat showing out of the water, lol...

Wow...30+ years sure passed in a hurry.

To stay on the original subject of the thread....you're dag gone right these gas prices are effecting my budget. Either stay home, carpool...or try to make sure we hit all the places we need to hit on one round trip.

Post Thanks / Like

from judging by the traffic on the road, you would never know gas was 4 bucks a gallon. I remember buying gas for 19 cents a gallon back in 1970, and I couldn't afford to cruse around much then.

Post Thanks / Like

Even when gas was $2.00 I would consolidate my trips. We live 10 miles from the closest grocery store and it used to be that Mrs. Tyme was running there at least once a day. We've stopped that and can usually last a week before getting milk,eggs,etc.

I won't make a trip to the store for just one item. I've finally got Mrs. Tyme to see what that one loaf of bread actually costs when you add in the fuel expense.

Post Thanks / Like

I filled my SUV with gas twice last week; the second time cost me $62. Had planned to go and spend Easter with my husband but Molly (the dog) ended up canceling those plans. She was playing with her brother and ran into something and ripped her back open. Two trips to the vet, 100 miles per trip, plus $138 vet bill. I decided to stay home and spend Easter alone....and get some much needed rest.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a rural area on the KY TN border and went to the closest town in TN to buy some things. Filled my truck up, it was not empty but the price of gas was 15 cents a gallon cheaper than KY and it cost $40. Came home to mow grass and needed gas in the zero turn lawn mower and for the weedeater and went to the nearby country store for that and spent $29 on that. The price of gas is effecting my fishing and life style.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep it's stopping me from going long trips. That and my ole truck needs to be replaced.

Go to Cedar Creek and see if it's stopping anybody though, lol....What a Zoo.

Congrats to Art and the wife on the new baby....

Hope and Change baby, this is the Obama way..

HURRICANEBOB Guest

I'm buying better trolling motor batteries and trolling out from the dock into the wind, and sailing the rig home at night. A wind shift can mean an all-nighter.

Post Thanks / Like

In late 1970 and early 1980 home mortgage intrest was 19% and gas was cheap. In 2012 home mortgage is 3.75 and gas is high. Your money still buys the same things. In 1930 a silver dime would buy you a gallon of gas, in 2012 a silver dime will still buy you a gallon of gas. Nothing has changed. Simple economics.