Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Herrington Lake Info

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and new to the area but have just put a boat on Herrington and am looking for fishing info.

I've been out a couple of times and find the lake and the fish very deep. Any info anyone can give to help me figure out this lake would be appreciated.

I am not into competition and enjoy catching any species, bream, catfish, crappie, hybrid's and bass. I live in Harrodsburg so I will hit the water frequently and have time to explore but need someone to help point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Herrington Lake Info

I took my kayak out to Herrington last year and didn't have much luck. I caught a small bass on a rock shelf, but I did see plenty of gar. I don't think it's the best lake for fishing around here, but I'm sure you'll have fun trying. I live in Nicholasville and would love to know if you get any more info because it's pretty close to me and a nice, relaxing spot to hit. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I only fish there a few times a year, but i have had a lot of luck in spring back in the creeks right before the dam, the one on the left and the one on the right before you get to dam, sorry dont know the names of them. I go back into each creek and fish all the way back into each arm that runs into each creek fishing around trees and every dock. You may not catch anything for 10 docks and then limit out on one dock by itself, its crazy. Have caught a couple over 5 out of these creeks, but alot of little ones too, spinnerbaits and flukes r my favorite. Summer time i stay on the move out in the lake fishing steep walls with spinnerbait and the big docks with several boats and floating tires.

Post Thanks / Like

I like hybirds with live bait, nice gills in the whole system, decent catfish with all kinds of different bait. But I mainly chase hybirds year round just ask if I can help in any way.

Post Thanks / Like

Best fishing on the lake is mid lake to the river in my opinion. I used to tourney fish there alot but not anymore and had good luck off jigs and 10 inch worms at night around mid lake. Fishing during the day they go deep so if you dropshot or spoon fish you should have some luck and they tend to suspend around the floating docks. The river has some monster flatheads in it but be careful there are some hidden rocks and boulders under the water.

Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I took my kayak out to Herrington last year and didn't have much luck. I caught a small bass on a rock shelf, but I did see plenty of gar. I don't think it's the best lake for fishing around here, but I'm sure you'll have fun trying. I live in Nicholasville and would love to know if you get any more info because it's pretty close to me and a nice, relaxing spot to hit. Good luck!
    Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what else I find out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sglass View Post
    Best fishing on the lake is mid lake to the river in my opinion. I used to tourney fish there alot but not anymore and had good luck off jigs and 10 inch worms at night around mid lake. Fishing during the day they go deep so if you dropshot or spoon fish you should have some luck and they tend to suspend around the floating docks. The river has some monster flatheads in it but be careful there are some hidden rocks and boulders under the water.

Shawn
    Thanks Shawn - I'll let you guys knwo how I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redtail View Post
    I like hybirds with live bait, nice gills in the whole system, decent catfish with all kinds of different bait. But I mainly chase hybirds year round just ask if I can help in any way.
    Thanks for the info, the lake is so deep do you fish for suspended fish in deep water or do you fish more shallow water? I'll keep picking your brain if you don't mind.

Thanks