Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

How good is Cumberland going to be when it comes up to normal?

I keep wondering what the fishing especially the bass fishing is going to do when the lake comes up and all the brush that has grown around the lake gets flooded. I would expect the fishing would have a window for a few years where its very good. Thats what has happened in Texas at lake Falcon it was down for a few years and came back up and the bass fishing exploded better than ever. Not saying Cumberland is lake Falcon but it should be interesting.

Actually I think the best way to improve our infertile lakes that need help would be to lower them for a few years and let brush take over the shorelines and then raise them back up. Doubt KYFW would work with the Army Corps of Engineers to do this but it would work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good is Cumberland going to be when it comes up to normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Fntsyfbgod View Post
    I keep wondering what the fishing especially the bass fishing is going to do when the lake comes up and all the brush that has grown around the lake gets flooded. I would expect the fishing would have a window for a few years where its very good. Thats what has happened in Texas at lake Falcon it was down for a few years and came back up and the bass fishing exploded better than ever. Not saying Cumberland is lake Falcon but it should be interesting.

Actually I think the best way to improve our infertile lakes that need help would be to lower them for a few years and let brush take over the shorelines and then raise them back up. Doubt KYFW would work with the Army Corps of Engineers to do this but it would work.
    I think that IF it ever comes back up then it should be great for all the reasons you mentioned. But I have serious doubts as to if it will ever come back to normal pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it at normal now?

(I'm not super optimistic that it's going to be raised).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Isn't it at normal now?

(I'm not super optimistic that it's going to be raised).
    I don't feel like they will be able to fix Wolf Creek Dam. They will probably have to build another one downstream and blow it up. Too many underground caves underneath it that are letting water flow by.

Post Thanks / Like

723 is normal summer pool and No it's not even close to being at normal summer pool.

The Corp maintains that it will be back to normal after all the repairs are donl. Will the fishing explode, it should have a honeymoon period and be good for four or five years, we'll see. The lake needs new reg's in my opinion but I WILL NOT voice them because it causes a pissing match everytime.

Post Thanks / Like

LC is my favorite lake, but I've already started fishing other lakes. I don't think it will be the same in my lifetime. If it were to raise back up, I think fish of all kinds will explode for a few years.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy that talked to one of the workers thats helping repair the dam. He told him that the lake would be at full pool by 2014.

Post Thanks / Like

word is it will return to normal (historical levels) summer pool , as stated above the projected date is sometime 2014. if/when they do raise it back up it will take time to once again "re-learn" the lake and the patterns. the stump beds and drops that i have been fishing for the last 3 years are usually in 15-20 foot of water july-sept, when the water comes back up they will be 40-50 ft deep.....too hard for me to catch fish that deep consistently....so i dread the water coming back up but thats just my humble opinion.
    i do know there are more shad in this lake right now thani can remember in the last umpteen years

Post Thanks / Like

its gonna be awesome when water raised (to whatever level). just hope they don't cut down all the great vegetation growing on the banks before they bring it up!!!!