Search Fishin.com

Thread: ohio river?????

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

ohio river?????

anyone having any luck with the bass ....fished it last weekend and today with no luck ...thought they would be back in the creeks, thought they would be at the mouth and nothing in between .....only had a few dink on the main river maybe im not throwing the right thing ...iv tried every thing that iv got

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ohio river?????

I'm going to give it a go this weekend at some point and lay the smack down on some bass! I can't wait! I'll let you know what I find.

Post Thanks / Like

had the same experience last weekend at big bone creek. Could have sworn they would be back there with the whites and crappie. The creek was deserted. Went to the mouth and caught a few 6" bass in the stump fields saw some bass busting shad but they would not take my bait.I think the shad population is way to good the shad are bigger than usual do to the warm winter and they are feasting on them not our baits.

bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    had the same experience last weekend at big bone creek. Could have sworn they would be back there with the whites and crappie. The creek was deserted. Went to the mouth and caught a few 6" bass in the stump fields saw some bass busting shad but they would not take my bait.I think the shad population is way to good the shad are bigger than usual do to the warm winter and they are feasting on them not our baits.

bob

The good thing about that though is when one finally slips up and hits our bait chances are it's gonna be a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

We just finished out first tournament on the river for this year. We had ten boats show up and of the ten boats six weighed in limits. Big bass was 2.30. Every year the Ohio River is getting better. For those of you who are familiar with river bass you know they are smaller than lake bass. They fight harder I imagine because they are in current most of the time.All the fish that were brought in were very healthy looking. One boat had over forty keepers. Our boat had at least 25. Bass fishing on the Ohio River is getting better every year. If anyone is interested in fish a river series in the Evansville, Owensboro or Henderson area please send me an email at dshardes@aol.com. I'll be happy to get back with you. Our entry fee is $60 with a 100% payback...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fishing a tournament out of Cox's Park tomorrow. Indiana Bass Team Trail is having a charity tournament for the Tornadop victims. Fishing has been real good on the Ohio. Looking forward to catching some decent fish tomorrow---but not looking forward to the wind--LOL!!! I will give you an update tomorrow night.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished the Ohio today, Greenup Pool, caught 7 bass, 3 were around 15 inches, the others were around 10 to 12 inches. The water was fairly clear, caught most of them on a suspending jerk bait, a couple on a 6 inch power worm, and one on a 1/4 oz white spinner bait. The water temp was around 59 to 60. Had a nice smallmouth come up and swipe at my jerk bait. All the fish were caught on points where a creek empted into the river

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whistle Pig View Post
    I fished the Ohio today, Greenup Pool, caught 7 bass, 3 were around 15 inches, the others were around 10 to 12 inches. The water was fairly clear, caught most of them on a suspending jerk bait, a couple on a 6 inch power worm, and one on a 1/4 oz white spinner bait. The water temp was around 59 to 60. Had a nice smallmouth come up and swipe at my jerk bait. All the fish were caught on points where a creek empted into the river

hey thanks for the update....the jerk bait was my next move going to give it a shot tomorrow......hit the bait shop today after work with a few of them lol its the only thing i have not tried yet

Post Thanks / Like

I got out there today around 1 and caught a limit quick. Spent the rest of the day looking for larger ones - finally got dialed in on the spotted bass late in the day, big fat chunky spots full of eggs. Best 5 totaled 6-5, I feel like with a full day of fishing and knowing what I know now, a 10 lb bag wouldn't be too far off...the bass are definitely biting on the river!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I got out there today around 1 and caught a limit quick. Spent the rest of the day looking for larger ones - finally got dialed in on the spotted bass late in the day, big fat chunky spots full of eggs. Best 5 totaled 6-5, I feel like with a full day of fishing and knowing what I know now, a 10 lb bag wouldn't be too far off...the bass are definitely biting on the river!
    pm sent

Post Thanks / Like

We won our tournament today out of Cox's Park with 7.47 lbs. We also had big bass 2.40 HOG!!! LOL!!!
    I pre-fished thursday and had a limit go about 10 lbs. Today was a different story all together. We caught all 5 of our keepers in the last two hours of the tournament---it was crazy!
    The river is doing good---but changing daily!

Post Thanks / Like

good job mark