Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Red River Gorge Trout Fishing

I just returned from an awesome trip "trout packing" at Red River Gorge. My kids and I set up a base camp and hiked to various fishing spots over two days. I had never fished the Gorge before, and didn't know there was trout until I did a little research. There are some great spots particularly Swift Camp Creek. Lots of huge boulders and crystal clear pools. Probably caught 20+ fish, all stocker size, but I hear that there are some nice size holdovers in the waters. Great water for both fly fishing and spin fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Red River Gorge Trout Fishing

Sounds like a great trip! What size fly rod did ya use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post
    I just returned from an awesome trip "trout packing" at Red River Gorge. My kids and I set up a base camp and hiked to various fishing spots over two days. I had never fished the Gorge before, and didn't know there was trout until I did a little research. There are some great spots particularly Swift Camp Creek. Lots of huge boulders and crystal clear pools. Probably caught 20+ fish, all stocker size, but I hear that there are some nice size holdovers in the waters. Great water for both fly fishing and spin fishing.
    I was up there Friday at Indian Creek and Swift Camp Creek. I caught around 20 or so rainbows and hooked a nice brown trout at Swift Camp. I was using a spinning reel. I fished down past the bridge at Swift Camp on 715. Where did you go to at Swift camp?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by YakNinja View Post
    I was up there Friday at Indian Creek and Swift Camp Creek. I caught around 20 or so rainbows and hooked a nice brown trout at Swift Camp. I was using a spinning reel. I fished down past the bridge at Swift Camp on 715. Where did you go to at Swift camp?
    I was actually using my new Tenkara fly rod. It's a Japanese style of fishing where you use a very long rod (13') and no reel. Sounds strange, but it's a lot of fun and great for backpacking.

I'm not familiar enough with Swift Camp Creek to know exactly where the spot was, except to say I was coming from the direction of Chimney Top and it was close to the first parking area, and well before the confluence with Red River.

The trout we caught were all rainbows - nothing too big, and no browns. They were stacked up in the pools. Took spinners in the pools, and nymphs in the faster water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mattador View Post
    Hey Mattador, what trail did you use to get down to Swift Camp Creek? I believe I was in Red River instead of SCC.
    I think I'm going to head back down there this Friday again.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thinking about hitting the Gorge to do some fly fishing. Was thinking Swift Camp Creek around Rockbridge and work my way down stream from there. Did any of you fish that Area?