Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

fishing with shrimp

went down below the dam today on the ohio and saw several people catching some big fish on shrimp ( catfish) they were pretty tight lipped about their bait. If you use shrimp where do you get it and what type do you use. Also do you soak it in anything. They were not using big shrimp but looked about medium size. Also was using cherry chicken, strawberry chicken and some other flavor kool aid chicken

Post Thanks / Like

great stuff if you can find it

Cattracker Baits used to make a shrimp flavored dip bait. It worked for me when nothing else would. It's been discontinued, but I still have a secret tub. If you can find crawfish flavor, it might be close.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fishing with shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by jlawson435 View Post
    went down below the dam today on the ohio and saw several people catching some big fish on shrimp ( catfish) they were pretty tight lipped about their bait. If you use shrimp where do you get it and what type do you use. Also do you soak it in anything. They were not using big shrimp but looked about medium size. Also was using cherry chicken, strawberry chicken and some other flavor kool aid chicken
    Was there much current? I'll be there tomorrow and am curious

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy "bait shrimp" at many local shops. Usually comes frozen. I used to buy it at a shop in Aurora when I fished for cats off the Kenlake breakwall. Seems like it wasn't much, maybe $1 per pound.

Post Thanks / Like

Most grocery stores will carry frozen shrimp. You'd want the uncooked variety. It works great on jug lines and limb lines too.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy it from Kroger.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the cooked cocktail shrimp, when fishing is slow just add some cocktail sauce and eat the bait. Better than fishing with crawlers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    I buy it from Kroger.
    Can I give away your secret? I believe your recipe is:

"Buy at Kroger, Cook in the bottom of the Kayak". Works every time!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on Kroger...get to know your meat man and ask for the oldest he's got. Back when I fished for channels I used white and pink shrimp avoid the tiger, it never did well. Let it sit out for a while, the smellier the better. Good luck Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlawson435 View Post
    If you want to catch monster catfish. You want to try a skipjack for cut bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: fishing with shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by YakNinja View Post
    If you want to catch monster catfish. You want to try a skipjack for cut bait.
    If you want to catch monster catfish. Use the whole skipjack!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    Ditto on Kroger...get to know your meat man and ask for the oldest he's got. Back when I fished for channels I used white and pink shrimp avoid the tiger, it never did well. Let it sit out for a while, the smellier the better. Good luck Chuck
    Smellier does attract catfish better but it does not stay on the hook very well when it gets to that point. If you have shrimp that's going bad you could break it up in small pieces and chum with it and bait your hooks with large pieces that are partially frozen.