Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cave Run Crappie???

In the past, I've always went up to Cave Run and crappie fished and turkey hunted, as a sort of combo trip. Its been several years since I've fished Cave Run, but was wondering how the crappie fishing has been as of late?

Any recent reports on the crappie fishing up in Cave Run?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cave Run Crappie???

Quote Originally Posted by kyscrapejuice View Post
    In the past, I've always went up to Cave Run and crappie fished and turkey hunted, as a sort of combo trip. Its been several years since I've fished Cave Run, but was wondering how the crappie fishing has been as of late?

Any recent reports on the crappie fishing up in Cave Run?
    --
    Not sure if its just me or not but prior to last week, I have been catching some quality crappie, the 26th of march, kept 21, had several over 12 and one 16 inches.....the second of this month fished with a partner, dont know the count but we had several over 12 again.....the seventh we had 36 we brought home and again had several good fish....went back on the ninth and the wind was so bad you couldn't concentrate on what you were doin', we didn't strike out but the fishing was really slow, was there yesterday and caught several fish but most were in the 6 and 7 inch range... Don't seem to be able to find any crappie shallow, all were 10 to 15 feet deep in 20 to 30 feet of water... kind of a long winded report but that has been my experience in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hlleonard View Post
    --
    Not sure if its just me or not but prior to last week, I have been catching some quality crappie, the 26th of march, kept 21, had several over 12 and one 16 inches.....the second of this month fished with a partner, dont know the count but we had several over 12 again.....the seventh we had 36 we brought home and again had several good fish....went back on the ninth and the wind was so bad you couldn't concentrate on what you were doin', we didn't strike out but the fishing was really slow, was there yesterday and caught several fish but most were in the 6 and 7 inch range... Don't seem to be able to find any crappie shallow, all were 10 to 15 feet deep in 20 to 30 feet of water... kind of a long winded report but that has been my experience in the last 2 or 3 weeks.
    thanks so much! Were you catching them in the mainlake or up in the river? I like to fish the river channel stick ups around the Bangor boat ramp area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyscrapejuice View Post
    thanks so much! Were you catching them in the mainlake or up in the river? I like to fish the river channel stick ups around the Bangor boat ramp area.
    --
    We put in at bangor sunday and fished that area, the fish we caught were 10 to 15 feet deep mostly in 20 feet of water or more.... The other times we fished the main lake but the locations were similar, deeper water timber, 20 to 25 feet, fish there were also 10 to 15 feet deep... It just seems like the crappie never spent much time in the shallows this year unless the spawn is still to come.... It is more fun to me catching them shallow but hasn't happened for me so far this year.... wish you luck if you make it up that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hlleonard View Post
    --
    We put in at bangor sunday and fished that area, the fish we caught were 10 to 15 feet deep mostly in 20 feet of water or more.... The other times we fished the main lake but the locations were similar, deeper water timber, 20 to 25 feet, fish there were also 10 to 15 feet deep... It just seems like the crappie never spent much time in the shallows this year unless the spawn is still to come.... It is more fun to me catching them shallow but hasn't happened for me so far this year.... wish you luck if you make it up that way.
    well, had some boat problems, and been chasing them darned turkeys. Thats over now, so hoping to still get up there and at least catch enough for a good meal or two.

Hoping to head up that way this weekend...
    Anyone, got any reports lately on them crappie???