Search Fishin.com

Thread: Reel question

Post Thanks / Like

Reel question

Ok I actually picked the rod(down to 2) I want and held it in my hand so now I'm down to what reel. I'm looking at Cabelas right now since they are selling their reels pretty cheap right now but was willing to spend $100-$150 on the reel anyway. My question is....is the reel all that important? My thought is the rod is more important??? Anyway, I'm getting a lightweight reel for sure but what about the drag? What's the best? If you guys could spend up to $150 on a reel thats going on a TFO 8'-8'6" medium fast/fast rod what would you consider? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reel question

Shimano curado,no doubt about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol Clark that would be cool but on a fly rod it might be rough!!

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is funny,thought you were still bass fishing.Can't help with that one DJD,but I tried.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, with all consideration, their are LEFT WING REELS, RIGHT WING REELS and MODERATE REELS. Then there are the Far Right and Far Left Reels. DRAGS ALL SEEM TO BE ABOUT THE SAME..(TO BAD) .So, Depends on what you are fishing for.

Anything less than a 5 lb GOP, I'm thinking you don't need to worry about the drag, just finger the drag and you got em in the net!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C-Marshall View Post
    Now that is funny,thought you were still bass fishing.Can't help with that one DJD,but I tried.
    Man I'm still wackin em but a little closer to home! I just want to fly fish for some bass around here in the creeks and ponds. Hopefully catch some whites when they run as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLie View Post
    Well, with all consideration, their are LEFT WING REELS, RIGHT WING REELS and MODERATE REELS. Then there are the Far Right and Far Left Reels. DRAGS ALL SEEM TO BE ABOUT THE SAME..(TO BAD) .So, Depends on what you are fishing for.

Anything less than a 5 lb GOP, I'm thinking you don't need to worry about the drag, just finger the drag and you got em in the net!!
    Hahahahaha I understand that!
    I'm sooooo ready to do this. I'll have my outfit within a few weeks for sure. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Its been a while since I used the fly rod. In my experience, the reel just holds the line. Used them some for trout, but mostly bass and bluegill. Creek fishing using clousers, bucktail deceavers, muddler minnows, and various deer hair bugs. If you want to try one out, swing on by the house one evening and you can borrow my spare one. Might even have some old flies you can have too. I'll even give you a quick casting lesson, assuming that I remember how its done

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Its been a while since I used the fly rod. In my experience, the reel just holds the line. Used them some for trout, but mostly bass and bluegill. Creek fishing using clousers, bucktail deceavers, muddler minnows, and various deer hair bugs. If you want to try one out, swing on by the house one evening and you can borrow my spare one. Might even have some old flies you can have too. I'll even give you a quick casting lesson, assuming that I remember how its done

Andrew
    Sounds good Andrew. Just don't want to practice in the yard and catch a Husky!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As long as you don't try casting a milkbone or tennis ball you should be fine! With a fly rod, easy to test cast without a fly anyway.

Andrew