Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freshwater drum

Post Thanks / Like

Freshwater drum

Any one here eat them? Afte some research on what they eat, I would think they taste fine. Just trying to poll some folks before i spend the time filleting one out.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freshwater drum

I have never eat them but my best friend love them. He says they are better than catfish. He fillets them, just be careful of the mud line.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. Guess ill start keeping them then and give them a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I have eaten some mixed with crappie and blue gill. There was not much of difference to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I ate one we caught at nolin lake tasted good to me, fried and breaded watch out for the bones

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob46 View Post
    I ate one we caught at nolin lake tasted good to me, fried and breaded watch out for the bones
    there good, had them alot,,,ppl dont eat them because they think there a carp. but not so...try them ur like them

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried them, but have heard from a couple of people that they are actually pretty good. I know if anyone ever wants to try them, onemorecast56 can get you all yo need. We don't call him KVDrum for nothing!

Post Thanks / Like

Up north in Lake Erie they're "Sheephead", and I've seen them served at a fish fry mixed in with several other species. You just can't tell the difference. One recipe I've heard used is to take the back meat only, steam it and serve it with cocktail sauce like shrimp. They tell me it's very tasty.

Post Thanks / Like

Are they related to redfish?

Post Thanks / Like

Well you guys have convinced me. Since i can catch 100 pounds of them in a day. I guess its time to start keeping them. Prepping for the zombie invasion and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Filet them, cut them in shrimp sized pieces and boil them in saltly water. Chill them. Poor mans shrimp cocktail.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to throw cold water on this thread which is giving a lot of love to eating drum but I didn't have such a good experience. I catch them all of the time down at the big lakes and also had the impression all of my life that they weren't good eating. But realizing I had never tried them last year we were gathering fish for a fry and I kept one to see how it compared. It was nasty -- so bad I couldn't eat it and gave it to the dog. I am not a particularly picky fish eater but the meat on the fish I filleted was dark and very strong to the taste. Maybe I picked a bad apple to fillet for a drum but I am back to they are not good eating fish. Or maybe like other fish like whites and stripers where you need to cut out the red meat under the skin only parts of the meat are good where as I used the whole fillet. Even with catfish I find some are very mild and tasty where others are stronger (I am talking about within the same species - blues / channels, flatheads are always very tasty).

That said I think you should try one and see for yourself if they are good or not. The worst thing that will happen is it won't taste good which is my bet...

kc