Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need information please help!!

Alright so Ive been catching good numbers of bass but every now and then im having a problem with fish swallowing my hooks and regrettably most of these fish DO NOT make it. I have been using lazer sharp 4/0 wide gap worm hooks. If anyone has any suggestions on how to prevent the fish from swallowing the hooks please let me know whether its my hook choice or user error. Thanks everybody!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need information please help!!

when the bass swallows the hook, reach under it's gills, pull the eye of the hook down (turning the hook around), then push the hook out with your thumb.

Post Thanks / Like

How long are you waiting to set the hook? Fish don't have hands.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    How long are you waiting to set the hook? Fish don't have hands.
    it's just what jcb said, you don't have to be in a panic to set the hook, but it's sounds like to me you are waiting too long, and the fish is swallowing the hook, when you think the fish is there, lower your rod tip take 1 turn of the reel handle and set the hook....JMO

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the insight and your right fish dont have hands make it a heck of alot easier if they did ive been texas rigging these creature baits. The way bass are bitin on Barren is that the small ones are ticking it making it super easy to detect a bite and the large ones are just sucking it in and swimming off. Ill definitely be more diligent next time on the water and if it moves ill be laying the metal to them.
    Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

try up size hook or bait. Ihave went to a hook almost to big for bait and seems to help them from getting hook too deep.

Post Thanks / Like

The suggestions are right one with a quick hook set. If you have ever seen underwater footage of a larger bass taking a bait they will engulf first taking the bait entirely in their mouth and there is a second or third "gulp" that they will use to push it down deep into their throat and belly. If you wait too long on a hook set your are getting to the second and third gulps although sometimes bass take it pretty deep on the initial hit.

Another thing to consider it improving your "feel" to know when the strike takes place even when a larger bass just enhales it. Learning to fish with a semi-tight line for better feel, become a line-watcher to see more strike, or consider using a different line like braid to improve the feel.

The best thing you can do for feel to me is get the right rod for the job. I am a GLoomis fanatic and remember well what opened my eyes to what a good rod can do for you along these lines. It was about 20 years back and I was night fishing KY with my buddy and that particular night the fish were slow not hitting spinners or cranks which were our staples on KY at night. So my buddy had just bought a Loomis MBR684 for jig fishing and he was absolutely nailing them. I was fishing a heavy rod but just didnt have the feel and although we were fishing the exact same lure I wasn't feeling them right and kept missing the strikes. At one point he picked up his spinnerbait rod and handed me his jig rod to try and I caught 2 in about 5 minutes. Needless to say I had a couple of Loomis rods next time we were out and I have over 20 in my coral today...

kc

Post Thanks / Like

KC by far some of the most informational stuff i've heard. Thanks for the insight on everything.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.walleyesunlimitedusa.org/..._technique.pdf

it works the same for bass try that.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely to late on the hook set if the bass are swallowing it...I would use fluro if you are not already, a light sensitive rod, and keep better touch with your bait. I have had fish swallow hooks on accident when I have left a bait out in the water while I was doing something else...like taking a leak, lol. It usually is just the result of late hook set...good luck!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

I had a couple of fish swallow it to the gills this weekend at Barkley. Instead of trying to pull it out I would push the hook out the gills then cut the line. This is much easier on the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

When I hook a fish deep I usually don't even mess with the hook and cut the line and most of the time they survive. I know hooks are expensive but I usually have good success in doing that