Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Needed once in a lifetime fishing trip

Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    wait till he actually "accompishes" something and go all out when he graduates college
    Just graduating high school in this day and time IS accomplishing something.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by restornator View Post
    wait till he actually accompishes something and go all out when he graduates college
    He asked for information.........How about provide some.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to go to the Keys, check out this guy...

http://www.stripstrikecharters.com/

Capt Paulie can put you on Tarpon, Permit & Bones... then go back country for Reds, snook, etc... I would check with him though on that month. From some of his posts on Facebook, etc that month is really hot down there and the bite is tough... BUT... that would be an awesome place to spend some time with your son!! Good luck with your quest!

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned Mexico in a previous post. Someone else mentioned a very close second... Lake St. Clair (LSC)!!! Check out http://www.artoffishing.com/ ... I've followed Art on facebook about 2 yrs. He flat out gets on the fish! Big smallies mainly.

I've never fished LSC but really want to one of these days. Like the post says below, it's 6 hrs from KY and a fantastic fishery! I think the latest BASSMASTER mag rated it the 11th best bass fishing lake in the country...

Good luck, man! With your budget, you will be able to plan a super trip with your son!

Post Thanks / Like

Quetico Canada....epic man!

-Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Staying within your budget at that time of the year I would take a charter out of a right side Florida port and go trolling for kingfish, wahoo and phins (mahi mahi). You have not caught a real fish till you feel a king or wahoo make a run, it's like trying to reel in a souped up wildcat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    Staying within your budget at that time of the year I would take a charter out of a right side Florida port and go trolling for kingfish, wahoo and phins (mahi mahi). You have not caught a real fish till you feel a king or wahoo make a run, it's like trying to reel in a souped up wildcat.
    I had a King ski my butt all the way from the back of the boat to the bow. We've had some take us around the boat three times. That's the beauty of finding the right place in FL. You can fish for tarpon, reds, trout, kings, wahoo, mahi mahi, spanish, blues, snapper, grouper and all kinds of other things all from the same spot. It can be flats one day, the river the next, the bay the next and off shore the next.

I will say that the LSC option is a great one as well. Some place you can drive to in a day will help with the budget..

Post Thanks / Like

Sabourin Lake in Canada is a fly in trip. I saw it on Babe Winkleman fishing show. The website is www.sabourinlake.com. That looks like a once in a lifetime trip that would be fun. They were catching a lot of walleye and some large pike.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, these are ALL great ideas! If I couldn't afford to go to Alaska, I would definitely consider Montana/Idaho, Canada, Florida, Maine and maybe even The Outer Banks of N. Carolina. I have talked with the folks from Zups in Canada myself, and like what they have to offer. I would also love Quetico/Boundary Waters, but it's not for everybody. The Florida Keys is fantastic, but if money is a big concern, then I have personally found that St. George Island is hard to beat. Very cheap and the fishing is often very good. Lots of fishing options in this area and a underrated place in my opinion.

I stay at a rental house there that might just be the best bang for the buck of anywhere I know of. Perfect for two people. Contact me if you are interested in St. George and/or the rental home. I'm very familiar with the area.

timmbur@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Four grand, that should be plenty for a week of fishing with your son. You said guided experience, and not much else, so type of fishing, and where you sleep each night, not to mention travel times seem pretty much up in the air.

Option #1
    Fly out west, rent an RV, have local guides pick you up row you down the river drop you off at your riverside camp each day=trout fishing

Option #2
    Drive to the coast, stay in motels, have your guides meet you at the marina/dock fish for whatever they tell you is biting that day

Option #3
    Pick a famous fishery, Lake St. Clair, some lake in Mexico, KY or Barkley, the Colorado river; Find a guide service, let them know that you want to try and learn it in a weeks time.

Option #4
    Ask you son what you guys could do together that would be awesome. If it were me I would want to fish every day, but unless you are packing into the back country, fishing only might eliminate a hike or horse packing trip. With four grand to burn maybe you could mix in a gator hunt or something, but if you want this to be the best trip ever, plan it together

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Quetico Canada....epic man!

-Rich
    NO DOUBT..........one of my favorite all time places. I have a lot of places I want to go......I'd like to visit Mexico to fish. I'd like to hit Pardee out in California. I'd like to go Peacock bass fishing in Costa Rica.

One thing for sure though.........I will NEVER cancel a Quetico/Boundary Waters trip to do one of the above.....something special about that place.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 20 so just graduated high school two years ago. IMO I would love to go to either Canada or out west. Both present a type of fishing that cannot be done around here. Pike and Walleye fishing in Canada is supposed to be some of the most fun a guy can have. On the other hand going out west with a pair of waders and some fishing equipment and hiking to rivers/lakes would be a blast. Definitely just need to figure out what species he likes to catch and plan from there!