Search Fishin.com

Thread: Beach fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Beach fishing

So i'll be coming down for a vacation to Panama City in July. The only thing though is, this little boy from Kentucky doesn't really know how to fish from the shore. Is there anyway to catch bait to use without a throw net? I plan on getting a charter trip out also, but would like to have some fun myself while the kidddos jump in the ocean. any tips would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beach fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ErikSmith View Post
    So i'll be coming down for a vacation to Panama City in July. The only thing though is, this little boy from Kentucky doesn't really know how to fish from the shore. Is there anyway to catch bait to use without a throw net? I plan on getting a charter trip out also, but would like to have some fun myself while the kidddos jump in the ocean. any tips would be appreciated.
    Eric I'm no pro at saltwater fishing but your best bet from shore would be a pyramid sinker and leader with shrimp ,squid or sand fleas. The pyramid sinker is a must in order to keep you in the surf and not rolled up on the beach.You can also go to Half hitched bait store there in Panama and buy some Pompano jigs for casting along the surf.When I fish from shore I make my own pole holder out of a piece of 2inch pvc cut at an angle on one end to stick in the sand then insert the but of your pole in the other end...works great. As far as catching your own bait I personally think the second pier is the best for both fishing and bait. A sabeki rig will catch all you want.Hardtail,allswives, and what they call baba's(spell) I think are small balayoo's spell again. As far as a go to artifical bait you can't beat a Gotcha (prefere the ones with a red head) they are the roostertail of the ocean IMO. I think July might be a little hot for king action but you may still get some spanish from the pier.Hopefully JD7.62 will chime in on this one...Good luck hope this helps.Chuck P.S. were ever you fish carry a small towel to pick your fish up with, and needle nose pliers....some a them critters can reach out and touch ya if you no what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

I was basically thinking the same as Riverrat, with a pyramid sinker and some cut squid or bloodworms. That's how I've caught Atlantic croakers, spot croakers, star drum, white mullet, and an Atlantic stingray.

Post Thanks / Like

Get you some 1/4 oz. saltwater leadhead jigs and a bag of 25-4" chartreuse curly tail grubs and 1/2 pound of shrimp that are fresh enough that you can eat them. Rig the tail on othe jig head and add just a piece of shrimp (without the shell) on the exposed hook (you should get about 4-6 pieces from each shrimp). Cast out, let sink and hop back on bottom. This will catch just about anything in the surf while your kids swim. You most likely will catch whiting of all sizes-average about 1/2 pound, speckled trout, flounder, mackerel, and unfortunately catfish. Saltwater catfish's barbs are poisonous and I recommend using pliers when unhooking them-very painful if they get you. If it is really calm, try some topwater lures as mackerel, trout and blues will slam them-even an occassional tarpon will scare the hell out of you.