Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio River night fishin

Hey all I'm planning on going out tomorrow night on the boat to do a little night fishing on the Licking and Ohio near Cincinnati. I will most likely be cat fishin mostly. I am new to the wonderful world of boat ownership and have noooooo clue where the fishing is at on the river. Would anyone know any spots on the Ohio near Cincy or on the Licking River to catch some Cats. Or maybe I should focus on something else? Striper maybe? I Have heard that you want to look at the depth finders for holes or drop off and fish the deep side. Is there any truth to this? Any help for anyone in the area would be extremely helpful. As I said I am used to being limited to shore finshing, but now I am in a whole new world!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ohio River night fishin

I'm afraid I can't offer you any spots, just a few words of caution.

Make sure your navigation lights work and are on if on the river at night.

Tie off/Anchor close to shore, and watch the barges...they will rock your world.

Be safe, and Good Fishin !!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes of course!I am on the local water rescue team in this area and have seen what can happen when you don't let everyone know where your at! You wouldn't beleive how many people think that barges will get out of their way quicker than they can get out of the barges! Playing chicken with a boat that weights more than some apartment buildings and is 200yrds long never ends well....

Post Thanks / Like

Where are planning to launch, Maybe I can help

Post Thanks / Like

If you boat up to the 275 bridge there use to be a dike there. Use your depht finder to locate the deep holes. There should be some nice cat laying there. Cut bait or chicken liver should work. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I will most likely be putting in down by the Meldahl Dam. I could put in somewhere else if thats were the fish are . I have also heard that at certain times of the year you can catch a lot of white bass at night along side of the parked barges just down river of downtown, but I don't know when those times or the year are. Has anyone ever heard of that? From what I hear if you run a couple of 3in white grubs along the sides of those parked barges you can really put a killing of them. It might be something to try....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
    I will most likely be putting in down by the Meldahl Dam. I could put in somewhere else if thats were the fish are . I have also heard that at certain times of the year you can catch a lot of white bass at night along side of the parked barges just down river of downtown, but I don't know when those times or the year are. Has anyone ever heard of that? From what I hear if you run a couple of 3in white grubs along the sides of those parked barges you can really put a killing of them. It might be something to try....
    That is a LONG haul from the dam.

Get some shad in Mill Creek. Coming from the dam, the first creek on your right past the city, about 1/8 of a mile form the ballpark. Bottom fishing infront of Mill Creek, infront of the stadium, infront of hooters, or at any hole in those areas will be good now. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much striper, Have you heard anything one this white bass fishing the barges at night?

Post Thanks / Like

By the way I will probably put in at Fredericks landing on the licking if i fish near downtown.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not familiar with boating on the river you may want to postpone your trip for a few days. The river is rising over the weekend and the current will be pretty strong. Not exactly the best time to be on the river for an inexperienced boater. The river can be dangerous, especially at night when the currents cooking!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on the water resuce team for Northern KY. I have spent a lot of hours on the river in REALLY rough conditions piloting boats anywhere from a 36' all aluminum seaArk to a 19ish' Deck boat, and even been crawling around at the bottom of the river in such conditions. I am new however to the world of fishing from a boat. Usually my time isn't quite and fun... Drowning details at 3am and vehicle recoveries in December . I do agree that the river can be a VERY dangerous place for people who haven't been there, and I appriciate the advise!