Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Advice From Lady Anglers

My advice as a lady angler would be for you to get her whatever she wants. I'm 5'4" and I can cast, flip, pitch and whatever just as well and as long as anyone else can. You're not doing her any favors by customizing her fishing equipment because of her stature. Just make sure her fishing equipment is as good as what you use yourself and teach her to use the trolling motor too so she can have her turn at the good spots. And to settle an old argument gentlemen, size does matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    My advice as a lady angler would be for you to get her whatever she wants. I'm 5'4" and I can cast, flip, pitch and whatever just as well and as long as anyone else can. You're not doing her any favors by customizing her fishing equipment because of her stature. Just make sure her fishing equipment is as good as what you use yourself and teach her to use the trolling motor too so she can have her turn at the good spots. And to settle an old argument gentlemen, size does matter.
    I knew it I knew it I knew it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    In 1994 I bought my wife a Zebco Gold 33 and a Berkley Cherrywood CRC-10, 5'-6" Medium to introduce her to fishing. I spooled it with good 10 pound test. She pitches lures with it, loves to bobber fish with it, and she's caught bass, cats, gills, white bass, and even small stripers with it. She still has it today and just loves it.

What made it work for her was the ease of operation and the total light weight and ease of use of the rig. I think that's the key. Make it fun and easy to start.

I moved her up to a Zebco 888 Prostaff Reel with 20 pound test and a Ugly Stick CAL-1101 6'-6" medium heavy rod for busting Stripers on topwater. Again, she adapted to it easily because it worked just like the smaller rod and reel. And I'm telling you she can put a Redfin well down range when she sees fish busting the surface.

I'd start with something that's just real easy to use until she gets hooked on fishing, then try exploring spinning reels next, and finally thumb burners.

I got to tell ya guy, you will never feel better as a man or an angler than the day the wife squeals with delight as the drag is zingging away, and then she lands a whopper. Just don't get no flipping better than that.

Got to stop, eyes watering up.
    You are luckier than I am I got my wife a very similar rod and reel (Zebco 33) about forty five years ago. She hooked a bass that was about a five pounds the drag was so lose she could not do anything with the bass he was taking all her line I told her we have to tighten your drag before you run out of line and of course the fish got off and she has never let me forget the big fish I caused her to lose. 45 years later.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    You are luckier than I am I got my wife a very similar rod and reel (Zebco 33) about forty five years ago. She hooked a bass that was about a five pounds the drag was so lose she could not do anything with the bass he was taking all her line I told her we have to tighten your drag before you run out of line and of course the fish got off and she has never let me forget the big fish I caused her to lose. 45 years later.
    45 years ago they had Zebco's?!?!?!?!?!??! OMG, I thought back then you guys threw rocks at the fish Hey.....did you guys have gas motors? Which oar, the left or the right one....was the trolling motor?

I hear ya, and that's part of ther eason she got the 888 Prostaff for Stripers.

Got to share this. Couple trips back gave the wife her little Zebbie with a prop bait on when the Stripers were bustin on top in the morning at the banks. When the fish hit, I thought I was gonna split my sides. She fought that thing for about 30 minutes till it finally came in. Every bit of 20 inches worth. I thought she was gonna kick my butt for doing that.

Less learned, they get mad when they lose them, and when they land them. How's a guy supposed to win.

Post Thanks / Like

45 years ago we had monofilament line, glass rods Johnson reels or Zebco I could scull a boat we had rigged plastic worms with three hooks and a spinner on front, Rapala's, Jitter Bugs and Lazy Ikes we had a gas motor mostly 10HP. Johnson Sea Horse. Those were simpler times except for trying to figure out women.

Post Thanks / Like

My girlfriend used to go fishing with me all the time.

My wife never has.

Just sayin...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    My girlfriend used to go fishing with me all the time.

My wife never has.

Just sayin...
    What happened, did your wife find out about your girlfriend?

HURRICANEBOB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    And to settle an old argument gentlemen, size does matter.
    Yea, I know. A residential 110 volt plug never fits well in a commerical 440 volt socket.

Post Thanks / Like

Bud take it from your old uncle get her what she wants! take her with you and let her pick it out. you can guide her to a type of combo. she will get what feels right for her. But like others have said nothing like your girlfreind/ wife fishing makes the bad days better! just saying from experience also teach her to unhook her fish. your aunt will unless it is too big or hooked to deep.