Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Sleeves

Post Thanks / Like

Rod Sleeves

Was wondering what everyones opinion is on rod sleeves. Which ones are the best quality for the value and which should be avoided? Looking for something to use on 5-7 casting rods that don't cost a fortune. The nicest I have seen are the ones Brandon Palaniuk sponsors but they cost like $21 apiece. My fishing rods don't cost enough to justify buying those. Also debating the stick jacket brand but they seem to get mixed reviews. Just want something to provide a little protection from the elements and won't catch every crankbait hook. Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod Sleeves

I bought the new bass Pro ones this year and they are pretty nice. Don't buy the ones for the spinning rods though. The sleeve won't go past the last eye.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the stick jackets and they are about $7 at tackle warehouse.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out ColeTackle.com. I found them to be the cheapest price $6 ea and I have ordered twice from them and both times received order within days. I would suggest to go with gormet tipped socks, the dipped only ends will require sewing after short time.

This material is sold in large rolls and its primary use is wrapping electrical cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with rod gloves from tackle warehoue they are like 5.99. Go read the reviews and buy some you wont be disapointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the rod gloves - I just bought several of them and they're great. Tackle warehouse had them 20% off but I think it ended on the last day of April. Still a great buy at regular price though.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at www.rodsox.com. They do a little more to the open end to strengthen it.

Post Thanks / Like

i like the ones from Scott's Rod Sleeves, they are very similar to the Cole Tackle sleeves but I prefer the tips on the Scott's. You can check them out at http://www.scottsrodsleeves.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Get them with the elastic keepers on them too, they will keep them from coming off in your rod locker.

Post Thanks / Like

you could always make your own.. if you have a soldering iron and some heat shrink

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/ExpandableSleeving.php

there are some guys on BBC boards that sell them that are quality ones that they made the same way. ill see if i can find them i cant right now though.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I used the BPS ones, too, and they're fine if all you're looking for is something cheap that provides "a little protection from the elements," like you said. And your lines don't get tangled together when you're carrying multiple rigged poles. But as far as not catching on crankbait hooks, that's another matter, they're going to do that if the hooks rub on the sleeves. You'd have to have a solid sleeve of some kind to avoid that, and that would probably be expensive.