Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need Advice From Lady Anglers

My girlfriend keeps bugging me to get her a rod and reel for herself but I'm not sure what to get. I know it's going to be a spinning combo but I'm not sure about the length and action of the rod. She is 5'6" and she uses one of mine that is 6'6" pretty well and doesn't like to use my other that is 7'. I just don't know if I should get her one that is 6'6" or go even shorter to 6'. She is 5'6" and will use it for bass fishing. Any input from some lady anglers would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need Advice From Lady Anglers

My wife is the best accent to my boat and any trip i've ever taken, let her pick the cranks never fails...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    My girlfriend keeps bugging me to get her a rod and reel for herself but I'm not sure what to get. I know it's going to be a spinning combo but I'm not sure about the length and action of the rod. She is 5'6" and she uses one of mine that is 6'6" pretty well and doesn't like to use my other that is 7'. I just don't know if I should get her one that is 6'6" or go even shorter to 6'. She is 5'6" and will use it for bass fishing. Any input from some lady anglers would be great.
    I bought my girlfriend a Pflueger lady torion or trion I can't remember what it's called but it's a good rod and reel combo with great feel. Plus it's pink and black so she'll love it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfreak View Post
    I bought my girlfriend a Pflueger lady torion or trion I can't remember what it's called but it's a good rod and reel combo with great feel. Plus it's pink and black so she'll love it
    This is the best way to go! I would recommend this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

my girl says the length of the rod is not the problem the length depends on the tequence. her issue is the distance between the reel seat and the bail her finger has a hard time picking up the line.

Post Thanks / Like

my wife likes to use my 6'3 bronzeback with a shimano 2500 on it. GREAT combo for her. Her second choice is my 6'6 IMX mh...........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

I taught mine how to throw a baitcaster. Now she still uses a spinning outfit for crappie, 'gills and light stuff, i.e. Shakeyheads, slider worms,
    but she now she throws a big worm, crank, or spinnerbait with one of mine. Her favorites so far, are a browning, and an older quantum ex-500.
    Her catch rate really went up, using the baitcasters, she caught 3 over 5lb. With one of going right at 6. All out of nolin.... Tr

Post Thanks / Like

My wife is 5' even and she uses a 7' spinning combo and loves it. Of course it depends on your individual situation, and what kind of fishing the two of you are going to be doing most of the time, but I wouldn't go with a 6' rod just because she's 5'6" tall.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife told me that size doesnt matter.

HURRICANEBOB Guest

In 1994 I bought my wife a Zebco Gold 33 and a Berkley Cherrywood CRC-10, 5'-6" Medium to introduce her to fishing. I spooled it with good 10 pound test. She pitches lures with it, loves to bobber fish with it, and she's caught bass, cats, gills, white bass, and even small stripers with it. She still has it today and just loves it.

What made it work for her was the ease of operation and the total light weight and ease of use of the rig. I think that's the key. Make it fun and easy to start.

I moved her up to a Zebco 888 Prostaff Reel with 20 pound test and a Ugly Stick CAL-1101 6'-6" medium heavy rod for busting Stripers on topwater. Again, she adapted to it easily because it worked just like the smaller rod and reel. And I'm telling you she can put a Redfin well down range when she sees fish busting the surface.

I'd start with something that's just real easy to use until she gets hooked on fishing, then try exploring spinning reels next, and finally thumb burners.

I got to tell ya guy, you will never feel better as a man or an angler than the day the wife squeals with delight as the drag is zingging away, and then she lands a whopper. Just don't get no flipping better than that.

Got to stop, eyes watering up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wolfewiz View Post
    My wife told me that size doesnt matter.
    Are you sure that she just did not want to hurt your feelings? Just saying. LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HURRICANEBOB View Post
    In 1994 I bought my wife a Zebco Gold 33 and a Berkley Cherrywood CRC-10, 5'-6" Medium to introduce her to fishing. I spooled it with good 10 pound test. She pitches lures with it, loves to bobber fish with it, and she's caught bass, cats, gills, white bass, and even small stripers with it. She still has it today and just loves it.

What made it work for her was the ease of operation and the total light weight and ease of use of the rig. I think that's the key. Make it fun and easy to start.

I moved her up to a Zebco 888 Prostaff Reel with 20 pound test and a Ugly Stick CAL-1101 6'-6" medium heavy rod for busting Stripers on topwater. Again, she adapted to it easily because it worked just like the smaller rod and reel. And I'm telling you she can put a Redfin well down range when she sees fish busting the surface.

I'd start with something that's just real easy to use until she gets hooked on fishing, then try exploring spinning reels next, and finally thumb burners.

I got to tell ya guy, you will never feel better as a man or an angler than the day the wife squeals with delight as the drag is zingging away, and then she lands a whopper. Just don't get no flipping better than that.

Got to stop, eyes watering up.
    You got that right. She's already hooked! She loves to go bass fishing with me and she's pretty good at it. I've already got her tying her own knots and rigging up her lures. She is just ready to have a rod and reel that she can call her own and I'm ready for her to stop bugging me about it.