Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back on the Carp!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger1979 View Post
    What patterns are you using and are you tying them yourself? Also have you noticed a change in the carp's behavior due to the milder spring Barren had and are the lower lake levels affecting your fishing?

I really enjoy your pictures, the photography is excellent! It seems as if you're following all the "rules" for fishing photographs. It looks as if you're paying a lot of respect towards your catch as well. Thanks for all the posts!
    Thanks!!!

Last year I was using the Backstabber fly in the rust color and on that weekend I caught them a new fly for me called "Barry's Spork"...they seemed to love it. Barry Reynolds out in Denver has been chasing and catching these dudes for a while. He has some cool YouTube videos on his adventures. I didn't know he had some flys whipped up till I was on the Feather-Craft website. Here's the link to the fly I was using the other day and it was the rust color of course...

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=JF490

Looks like they have a great selection of bugs for freshwater and carp as well. I haven't taken the time to sit down in front of the vise to tie up my own yet, but have all the materials... Just too busy .

As far as behavior goes, I was scratching my head from the weekend of the 5th.... Fish were laid up and I only found a few fish that were mudding and eating, but no takers. Most of these guys were up in the "grass vegetation" that has grown on the flats with the lake levels down and some were still spwaning. All the mud flats that I ran to last year are still dried up so that makes it a little tougher. Just have to find new areas.......some of the slightly sloped gravel banks that run into shallow water hold fish....if the water is clean you can spot them much easier there. All I found was dirty water and I must have gotten on the lake late (after feeding i guess) and most of them were laid up in the sun.... Laid up fish will not eat...trust me...

The more time I spend on the water with these dudes the more I learn and I'm still trying to dial them in.... Getting a little better each time, but they know how to humble you real quick. Spooky and picky eaters.... Reminds me of Turkey hunting... these guys are so aware of their surroundings and if something is not right they will bug out quick!! Good thing there's plenty of them to target!!

I know some folks think of them as "trash fish", but they are fun to sight fish and target with the fly! It's fun watching them turn on a fly or vacuum one up and then the "pull" is on! I don't get a lot of long runs like other guys, but they pull like trucks! Fun stuff!!

Man, you're just right up the road so shoot me a PM if you want to get on them with the buggy whips one Saturday! I'll pole you around the "freshwater flats"!! haha I need the poling practice anyway!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 5wt all the time on 6# plus carp. It's all about rod angle and hand tension.

With that said, I often use a 7wt to make long casts to spooky fish easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish View Post
    I use a 5wt all the time on 6# plus carp. It's all about rod angle and hand tension.

With that said, I often use a 7wt to make long casts to spooky fish easier.
    Yeah, but with 7 or 8wt I can get them in the boat quicker and start screaming like a crazy man and do my best Iaconelli impression!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP!! NEVER GIVE UP!!!! WHOOOOOOO!!!!!