Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Back on the Carp!!!

Well after a successful Turkey Season it was time to get the Redfisher back in freshwater and on some Carp!! Of course as soon as I get the boat back here in KY the weather turns cold. I was about to go nuts not being able to get some fishing in since I hadn't been on these guys since last fall!!! Finally this weekend was the weekend for it! Hopefully this is the start to a good year on the Hillbilly Bones!!!

Fish were spawning like crazy for a couple of hours then they settled down and started to tail and mud..... Got 3 to the boat and lost 1 at the boat.... missed 5 eats!! Fish seemed a little more aggressive today and didn't spook unless you lined the crap out of them... which i did a lot!

Here's the first fish... small guy...

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...y/GOPR1840.jpg

a little better...
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...y/GOPR2061.jpg

and another chunker...
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...y/GOPR2270.jpg

Fun day on the water today!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back on the Carp!!!

Impressive! I love catching anything that fights good and those guys are awesome! I have caught many Redfish and those carp with their strong bulldog runs remind me of them. What kind of setup do you use fishing for them?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a TFO BVK 7WT and a Nautilus FWX 7/8 reel with some Sage WF 7 Freshwater line.... I had Airflo on there, but i'm liking the Sage line... Basspro guy recommended it...

Post Thanks / Like

In your opinion would a 5 wt outfit handle those fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    In your opinion would a 5 wt outfit handle those fish?
    IMHO it might be a tad too light.... That first fish I caught Saturday yes,(maybe 3-4lbs) but the rest of them were pretty chunky.... I'd say in the 6lb range. The only reason I say that is these guys pull like Mac Trucks and they bow that 7 up pretty good.... It's more of a tug of war and I wouldn't go down below a 7 or 8, but that's just me...... I'd say a 6wt Bass setup would work though... Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

If you're ever headed down this way, shoot me a PM and we'll get on those suckers!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyTrkyHntr View Post
    If you're ever headed down this way, shoot me a PM and we'll get on those suckers!!!
    I sure will! The thing is I'm about to buy my first fly rod and I had been thinking 5-6 wt and 8-9 ft. So I might be bringing a knife to a gun fight!

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are both pretty close to me, I'm just over the state line from Jenkins, in Norton, VA.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure will! The thing is I'm about to buy my first fly rod and I had been thinking 5-6 wt and 8-9 ft. So I might be bringing a knife to a gun fight!
    What are you looking at? TFO's? Yeah, that's a tough call and it depends on what you're after... If it's Bass and Carp I would lean more to the 6-7... but the 8 you can take with you south to the salt.... but, if you're going after trout then 4,5 or 6.... Man, tough decisions! haha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyTrkyHntr View Post
    What are you looking at? TFO's? Yeah, that's a tough call and it depends on what you're after... If it's Bass and Carp I would lean more to the 6-7... but the 8 you can take with you south to the salt.... but, if you're going after trout then 4,5 or 6.... Man, tough decisions! haha
    Yes the TFO's on Cabelas. Some of the combos look great and it seems I'll be spending up to $350 to get what I think I want. It gets confusing for sure!

I use to catch redfish and trout on the grass flats in and around Mosquito Lagoon in Titusville but we used 7ft spinning rods and jigs or spoons. That would be an awesome stalk and fight with a fly rod!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the TFO's on Cabelas. Some of the combos look great and it seems I'll be spending up to $350 to get what I think I want. It gets confusing for sure!

I use to catch redfish and trout on the grass flats in and around Mosquito Lagoon in Titusville but we used 7ft spinning rods and jigs or spoons. That would be an awesome stalk and fight with a fly rod!!
    TFO has a great warranty and quick turn around if something happens.

Can't beat Reds no matter what the equipment, but Reds on the fly is pretty awesome!

Good luck with your search and be sure and give me a shout if you have any more questions or if you head south!!! We'll get on the BRL!!

Post Thanks / Like

What patterns are you using and are you tying them yourself? Also have you noticed a change in the carp's behavior due to the milder spring Barren had and are the lower lake levels affecting your fishing?

I really enjoy your pictures, the photography is excellent! It seems as if you're following all the "rules" for fishing photographs. It looks as if you're paying a lot of respect towards your catch as well. Thanks for all the posts!