Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Taylorsville Sat and a question about tubes

I always try to help out as much as I can with questions on Taylorsville so here we go. Had a pretty decent day on Sat, caught 6 keepers biggest @ 4# several in the 13-14 range also. I always use jigs but somehow left all my jigs at home! So I decided to just use a tube. I have tried tubes for a few cast before but always go back to a jig but yesterday I really lit them up with 2 colors, a watermelon with red flakes and a venom tube in road kill color. I had no idea how to fish a tube so I did it like a jig. My question is I lost 6 fish because the hook buried itself in the tube. I just skinned the hook, didn't put it through to make it weedless. Is that right or do i need to buy a hook to go through it like worm fishing? If so what hook? Any help would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Taylorsville Sat and a question about tubes

the shaw grigsby high performance hooks are an absolute must if you're serious about tube fishing. they are pricey, but it's basically a kahle hook with a clip to hold the tube in place. Also, the weight must be inside the tube body to give it a slower, fluttering descent.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll look into that then. I kinda like this tube fishin deal plus I found another spot at Tville that would be really good for that flutter your talkin about. Thanks for the info it will really help out!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish tubes at Ky and Barkley quite often. I will T Rig them and depending on the length of tube 3,4,5 inch will use 3/0, 4/0, 5/0 hooks. I don't buy special hooks just the Gamakatsu offset Hooks in my box is what I use. Taylorsville fishes a lot like Ky in that it is more of a shad based food source lake so a tube you can hop it and swim it a bit to mimic a shad or crawl it to mimic a crayfish. I run the hook just like a worm out the top and skin hook it. On the nights around the full moon when crayfish spawn, AFTER I have ran my hook thru the tube, I will take a styrofoam peanut, the kind that come in packages, and shove a piece inside the cavity up to the hook bend. Make sure it is good and tight as to not come out. What this does is make the tentacle stand up more when I am working it like a jig but still have flexibility to swim like a shad

Post Thanks / Like

There are also a variety of weighted jigs that slip inside the tube, however, I prefer to texas rig em also. For weight, I like to find a small round pebble and shove it up to the very tip of the tube. If you find the right kind of pebble, that is, one made of sandstone, it will not only add some weight, but will also add just a tad of buoyancy which gives it a more natural action in my opinion. I like tubes for bass anytime of the year on just about any waters.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timmbur22 View Post
    There are also a variety of weighted jigs that slip inside the tube, however, I prefer to texas rig em also. For weight, I like to find a small round pebble and shove it up to the very tip of the tube. If you find the right kind of pebble, that is, one made of sandstone, it will not only add some weight, but will also add just a tad of buoyancy which gives it a more natural action in my opinion. I like tubes for bass anytime of the year on just about any waters.

I used to put the styrofoam in the nose of the tube but my hookup ratio was not good. I figured the space needed to compress the tube to get the most hook exposure was compensated. This is why I do it after the hook is rigged because the fish can bite all the way down

Post Thanks / Like

I texas rig my tubes as well. Until this past weekend I have always hopped/gave it action while I brought it in. My buddies were slaying lm with a carolina rig (which I didn't have) so I simply drug my tube and started catching fish too.

Anyone ever put a piece of Alka-Seltzer in a tube? My dad used to do that but I haven't tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

Where might be the best place to bass fish from the banks at Taylorsville? Still pretty new at bass fishing and haven't got the money to get a boat just yet. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice article on "tube tricks":

http://www.bassmaster.com/5-killer-tube-tricks

Post Thanks / Like

Try an EWG hook, some people will bend it out slightly, With the EWG you will get a good hook up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dc chopper View Post
    I always try to help out as much as I can with questions on Taylorsville so here we go. Had a pretty decent day on Sat, caught 6 keepers biggest @ 4# several in the 13-14 range also. I always use jigs but somehow left all my jigs at home! So I decided to just use a tube. I have tried tubes for a few cast before but always go back to a jig but yesterday I really lit them up with 2 colors, a watermelon with red flakes and a venom tube in road kill color. I had no idea how to fish a tube so I did it like a jig. My question is I lost 6 fish because the hook buried itself in the tube. I just skinned the hook, didn't put it through to make it weedless. Is that right or do i need to buy a hook to go through it like worm fishing? If so what hook? Any help would be great.
    I use cabin creek most of the time and I use a 20-3/0 depending on the actual size they are. Sometimes they are a little fatter or skinnier than the last batch.
    I always run it through and skin the hook point. I use offset gammys for my hooks and having the plastic get in the way is never a problem with these tubes. They are soft and small.